Video Artifacts

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
Just last night I started having issues with video artifacts again. A number of months ago, this issue cropped out then just as mysteriously disappeared. I sent the laptop (HP Envy 17) to HP and they just replaced a fan. Temperature is around 70C when gaming, so I don't see a problem there.

Here's a screenshot:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It looks a lot worse when gaming. For some reason, it doesn't show up as much in the screenshot.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
My first guess it that it's a video RAM problem, some of the GPU memory may be failing.

Here's the video equivalent to memtest86: http://mikelab.kiev.ua/index_en.php?page=PROGRAMS/vmt_en

There's a bootable version of this somewhere... but it can test most of the RAM from within windows anyway. It cannot test portions of the video ram already in use by windows, so there's an advantage to the bootable version.

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
I ran the express and then the full test, but it didn't find any errors. I'm not experiencing any issues tonight, strangely enough. I might try finding the bootable version so it can check all the memory.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It'd be an easier program to diagnose if it weren't a laptop. You might want to blow it out with canned air though if you have some. In my experience, artifacts like these have been caused by overheating GPUs or ones caked with too much dust.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
OriginalJoe, any luck with this?

When you say 70 degrees, is that the GPU or the CPU temp?