VGA/PSU Question (Possibly Idiotic.)

Saikoro

Obliviot
Hello, TECHGagers! I am Saikoro, slight newcomer into the world of computers *In the sense on MAKING them, not BEING on them.* from Australia. I found this site a few months ago, whilst looking for a review on some kind of Hardware, I was looking for at the time. I'm, so far, enjoying the reviews. Very well done.

Now, with all the introductions out of the way, I have a possible problem. I was thinking of picking up another ASUS 8800GTX (SLIing it.) and I wished to know if my PSU would be able to hold it. It might be a silly question but I just wanna be sure. Best safe then sorry, right? Here's what I'd be adding it onto.

Motherboard: ASUS PK5 Deluxe WiFi *Unsure about this.*
CPU: Intel Quad Core Q6600 @ 2.4
CPU Cooler: Zalman 9700NT nVidia edition
RAM: 2G Corsair Dominator
Hard Drives: 150G Western Digital and 750G Western Digital
Power Supply: 850W Thermaltake Tough Power
Case: Antec "IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAAAAND" Nine Hundred *All fans on FULL.*
Video Card: ASUS 8800GTX.

Any help would be lovely.

~ Saikoro.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Does it feature four native PCI-e connectors? If so I'd say go for it since 850W is more power than you need for that rig.

Saikoro

Obliviot
Well, it's the modular one. 2 are hooked to the main one and I have 2 *8 pins with 8>6 pin adapters* hardwired to the unit. I don't have ANY idea what's good in PSUs. It's the only thing I don't know much about.

Thanks for the help. Whenever I have a problem, this place'll be the first place I call. On the internets. With my keyboard.

madmat

Soup Nazi
LOL, yes it's more than up to the task. The OEM for that PSU is CWT and it's the same basis for the Koolance 1200W PSU (yeah I know there's a true 1200W CWT PSU out but they chose an 850W) so it's a really good unit.

Saikoro

Obliviot
I've actually desided to save my money for dual G92s(?). I can hold out a few more months for something that'll trample all the other competition. It's a smart move, I reckon, as normally when I get a new graphics card, I build a whole new computer with the old one. From what I hear, the 9800 will take up LESS power then the 8800 Ultra, which means, no matter WHAT, I'll be able to SLI them together without any power supply problems.

On a completely unrelated note, Madmat, your Avatar scares me. If that was your job, you can get paid for it now...

~ Saikoro.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I have to wonder if they will actually use the model 9800... since ATI used that back in the day for their own cards. I had a 9800 Pro and it kicked some serious ass.

madmat

Soup Nazi
It'll probably be the 8900 and after that either the 9900 or 10,000 since not only is the 9800 an ATI card so is the 9600 and 9700. It would be hard to have a budget range in the 9900 series since the numbers would have to be the old ATI ones. I doubt we'll see X taking the place of 10 due to the X series of ATI cards as well.