Vantec NexStar LX NAS

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
As NAS is becoming ever more popular, many are looking for the best bang for the buck. That's where Vantecs $60 unit comes into play. Although it offers IDE support only, it proves to be quite a solid offering.

You can read the full review here and discuss it here.

U

Unregistered

Be careful about the filesystem this device supports for the HDD. Its only FAT32 only in network mode!

B

BigMu

Vista Problems Fixed

I've been struggling to get my Vantec NST-375LX working with Vista for ages.
I've tried multiple network cards, routers, disabled and remove my anti-virus and turned off my firewall and it still keeps freezing and crashing when I try view and copy files to and from the NAS.
I've also tried all the netsh commands and variables without success - Don't waste your time messing around with these settings.

I've upgraded to the latest version of the firmware NAS-BASIC46 from the Vantec site which made no difference.

Finally, I found out that the Vantec firmware can be flashed with LANTEC NAS-BASIC48 Firmware which is the new Vista compatible firmware version.
I uploaded the new firmware, rebooted and it works 100% now.

The web interface is slightly different but it's essentially the same thing and all your settings will be kept when you do the flash.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Thank you BigMu for sharing that. I hope it helps anyone with similar problems.

F

Firzam

I've been struggling to get my Vantec NST-375LX working with Vista for ages.
I've tried multiple network cards, routers, disabled and remove my anti-virus and turned off my firewall and it still keeps freezing and crashing when I try view and copy files to and from the NAS.
I've also tried all the netsh commands and variables without success - Don't waste your time messing around with these settings.

I've upgraded to the latest version of the firmware NAS-BASIC46 from the Vantec site which made no difference.

Finally, I found out that the Vantec firmware can be flashed with LANTEC NAS-BASIC48 Firmware which is the new Vista compatible firmware version.
I uploaded the new firmware, rebooted and it works 100% now.

The web interface is slightly different but it's essentially the same thing and all your settings will be kept when you do the flash.

yep, my NAS crash even with winxp!! now I make the upgrade with LANTEC NAS-BASIC48 firmware it works great, no more crash for me now. Thanks!!!!

U

Unregistered

Aaaaa, thank you BigMu! I'm also having problems, and I hope the NAS-BASIC48 firmware can solve them!

I quick question... What file do I use? I uncompressed the archive and there are more then one BIN file. Do I use the one named FirmwareBasicNAS.bin ?!

Thanks a lot!

U

Unregistered

Nexstar LX running as an FTP server

Over the past few months I have tried every way I know to get the FTP server function working on my Nexstar LX. I have tried two different routers (Linksys WRT54GL and Trendnet TEW-432BRP) and even tried bypassing the router and connecting the LX straight to my ADSL modem. I changed the Linksys firmware to DD-WRT hoping that would help.

I have a thread running at http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/networking/897-ftp-setup-problem.html
and received many suggestions. My knowledge of networking is very limited so I could be doing something very stupid. My ISP (Telus) may be successfully blocking FTP but I doubt that are able to block all ports. Has anyone succeeded in gaining FTP access to this unit from a remote PC? If so, would you be willing to share basic setup information (how LX gateway and DNS relates to router gateway and DNS, port forwarding/triggering, etc.)?

Thanks for any help.

U

Unregistered

I also am with Telus right now, I can't get the FTP working either. I read something about Telus blocking FTP-type packets so that it doesn't work. So you can't host on Telus from what I know no matter the port.