Valve Looks to Release its First Console Next Year

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Barely two weeks ago, we finally found some hard evidence that Valve was looking to create a video game console, but who knew that the company already has working prototypes and has been hard at work testing them? In talking to Engadget, that factoid was unveiled, and I must say, I'm impressed. Valve didn't do the best job keeping its console plans totally locked-down, but I would have never guessed the company's progress has been so great.

steam_big_picture_03_091912.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Kayden

Tech Monkey
I can't say that I'm surprised because that Big Picture looked consoleish to me. I am just thinking is this going to require a PC or will it work like On Live and stream the game? Bandwidth caps are going to hurt any gamer either way.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Anyone remember the Phantom console? It was to be based on PC hardware and have a 100% online gaming library that you downloaded to the machine. Steam looks to be bringing it to pass.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I can't say that I'm surprised because that Big Picture looked consoleish to me. I am just thinking is this going to require a PC or will it work like On Live and stream the game? Bandwidth caps are going to hurt any gamer either way.

I sure hope not. Caps are just the first issue... not being able to play your games when the net is down is even more major.

Though caps do have to die, that's for sure.

Anyone remember the Phantom console? It was to be based on PC hardware and have a 100% online gaming library that you downloaded to the machine. Steam looks to be bringing it to pass.

Haha, Phantom. Also known as Kyle Bennett's worst headache ever.

The difference here though is Valve has been around a good while and understands the game industry well. The fact the company already has a console in testing tells me it's been doing research and working with hardware partners for a while.

If it's like Steam on the PC, then it -will- download content to the console, but I almost imagine that it'll also have the ability to stream a game that's installed to one of your PCs in the house, so as to not have duplicate game installs everywhere.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Right. But my point is this, they're doing what Phantom was attempting to do. I can only imagine that they'll use Steam for content delivery, it makes too much sense. Not to use it when they've got a foolproof and comparatively secure content delivery system already up and running would be foolish. Especially given the new push for Steam on Linux.

My prediction is that it'll be PC based meaning the hardware will be more familiar to PC gamers than that in the current consoles, it will run Linux and will be tied to a Steam account for content delivery. I also agree with the streaming games from PC's over your home network.