Useful Firefox Extensions for Browsing Safe

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
The Internet is a wonderful place, but if we're not careful, and slip up even once, then bad things can happen. As tech geeks though, we're pretty much well-protected simply by executing common-sense (which is unlikely to be common-sense for normal users). But, even if you already take extra precaution to remain safe on the web, there's always room for improvement.

CNET blog Webware takes a look at ten solutions specific to Firefox users for adding an extra layer or two of protection to your browsing experience, in the form of an extension. One of my personal favorites mentioned is NoScript, a tool which allows you to tell Firefox which sites to allow, or disallow JavaScript to run on the site. Seems like a simple tool, but trust me on one thing... it's useful. It does require some time to configure over time, but it's worth the effort.

Other extensions mentioned include Dr. Web Anti-Virus, which scans files downloaded to make sure they're not installing malware on your PC. It doesn't seem like it will stop it, as that's not the purpose, but you'll at least know about it and be able to take the necessary precautions. Then there's Blocksite, which allows you to disable any site from being seen. If you use this one though, you may want to also disable IE and block every browser download site out there, as the site could easily be seen using a non-Firefox option!

firefox_browsing_safe_052809.jpg

You think you're on a familiar site while filling out an online form, but you're nervous about whether the trusted source will actually receive it. That's where FormFox comes in. The add-on gives you the exact URL destination of information you're submitting to a site. So when you input your name, address, and other information, you can mouse over the Submit button and search boxes to find out exactly to where you're directing the information. You might be surprised to see where your data is going.

Source:
Webware Blog

Ben

Site Developer
I've found that simply installing Firefox is good enough to get around just about anything. Unless you browse some really odd sites, I've always felt perfectly safe with vanilla Firefox.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
AdBlock Plus has nothing to do with keeping you safe while browsing. If ads pose that much of a security risk, you really need to re-evaluate which sites you visit.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
That being said, I really like ad block plus.

good list, and just in time for a reinstall too.