USB 3.0: Shaking Up the Status Quo

Psi*

Tech Monkey
It sometimes takes me a couple of weeks to get thru all my trade pubs ... paper or e-versions. I just noticed this article in MPD.

Of interest is the discussion about compatibility issues with the way some manufacturers have/are implementing the required spread-spectrum clocking (SSC) and that it will result in compatibility issues with properly implemented SSC.:(

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hmm, interesting article. I'm kind of surprised that it mentions that some motherboards don't adhere to the proper SSC implementation, because I haven't heard of any issues where people tried to use a USB 3.0 device in their PC, but couldn't. It also mentions that even an add-in card won't solve the issue, so I guess it's tied directly to how the motherboard clocks things.

I'm almost wondering if this is the kind of reason I had an issue with my USB 3.0 OCZ Enyo before. The issue wasn't so much an issue, but when I plugged it in, Windows gave me a pop-up that stated that I should be running the drive in USB 3.0 mode, not 2.0... despite having it plugged into a USB 3.0 port. At the same time, I notice OCZ's website for the drive lists a couple of specific motherboards that it's certified to work with.

All in all, I haven't had major problems with my Enyo and motherboard, but I'm still wondering if this is one of those boards that has an improper SSC implementation. It would have been nice if that article could have thrown off some examples, but at the same time, I guess I can understand why it wouldn't.

Hopefully it's a problem that won't last for long.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
Like Rob is saying, if you have a problem this is just another question mark about whether it is the hardware, software, or the loose nut on the keyboard.:confused: