US Reclaims Top Supercomputer Spot with 'Sequoia'

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Not content to sit in second place for too long, the US along with IBM have worked hard to re-secure the top spot on the top 500 fastest supercomputer list. It's name: Sequoia. It's performance: about +50% faster than Japan's K computer, which now sits in the #2 spot. According to David Turek, IBM's VP of Exascale Computing, Sequoia's planning spans back two years - and a definite goal was to reclaim that top spot.

ibm_sequoia_team_061812.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Bet it's still 90% Chinese... ;)

Hah! The thing I find odd is that component lists aren't even made available. I -assume- that it's all Intel Xeon being used in there, which is as American as it gets (in terms of where it's designed and for the most part produced).

madmat

Soup Nazi
Xeon or Itanium. The rest would be produced overseas. As far as I'm aware there are no motherboards produced here or memory either.

Strike that, it uses IBM chips.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I am not familiar with IBM's chips at all, but that might explain the reason Sequoia has 1.5 million processor cores for 16-20 PFLOPS when it took just 150,000 Xeon cores for the IBM SuperMUC to hit 3 PFLOPS.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
It's IBM, so PowerPC. The exact details are "Power BQC 16C 1.60 GHz" - which is a 16-core Power A2 processor clocked at 1.6GHz instead of 2.3GHz. Some of the technical details about the BlueGene/Q series can be found here. There is more than one BlueGene/Q, the Sequoia just so happens to be the fastest. In addition, it uses a custom interconnect instead of Ethernet (open) or Infiniband (Intel), but IBM's own 5D Torus, which is an Optical 40Gbps interconnect - trying to get details on that is a little tricky though.

Last edited: