US PC Sellers Sell $144 Billion In New Gear

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
NDP declares U.S. electronic sales hit $144 Billion for the past year, with most sales generated by PC sales, even though most PC makers are down except for one:

https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/us/news/pressreleases/pr_120213

Now if only Apple would actually recognize the clear fact that they are a PC maker as well they could include some of their sales :p in the PC only charts.

Nothing wrong with Apple expanding in the market place. The problem they face is the same reason we are all still on x86 desktops and advances in performance are held back. People like their software too much and the average person isnt going to be using boot camp.

Actually worked with a guy who was considering buying a Mac Book and didnt understand that (out of the box at least) it did not run windows or run windows software. Like the Linux desktops sold by Walmart that might have been one more return.

Personally to me its just about money, I have none. Licensing their operating system would mean having to be competitive in the hardware market to prevent significant potential losses in hardware sales. They don't care about expanding in market share if it means loss in profit. This will eventually bite them somehow. Their practices are prime for a an awesome anti trust case if they ever take over the market.

Last edited:

marfig

No ROM battery
Comparing Hewlett-Packard, Samsung, Sony and Dell to Apple is... just weird. But then following that with a comparison between Best Buy, Walmart and Apple just takes the cake.

I don't know what else to say about this report.

Oh... wait. Its a market research firm. That's ok then. They never make sense. Except for the big ones. But the NPD Group is 10th on the 2011 Honomichl Top 50 Report.

MacMan

Partition Master
Personally to me its just about money, I have none.

Well, hot-doggy, we might as well be related, because I too have no money either!

However, quite seriously, I deliberately left out mentioning Apple precisely because some people seem to like to bitch at me for liking Apple, which is rather odd since I don't really own any Apple gear, because, for one thing, as I stated above, money I have not.

My pointing out the survey was to reveal that despite all of us living in the 'greatest recession in recorded history,' electronic sales are still surprisingly strong, at least for the moment anyway, and even though PCs sales were generally down across the board, with Apple being the lone exception, I found it quite revealing that sales were as high as they were reported to be! I would have thought, due to the recession, it would have been otherwise.

Will PC sales recover, or is it all down hill from here on, and could we really be seeing the rise of the post PC era as Jobs first predicted? That question was my whole point, and not anything specifically Apple related, but rather the health of the electronic market generally.

:eek:I

marfig

No ROM battery
However, quite seriously, I deliberately left out mentioning Apple

But you deliberately posted a link to an article making deliberate comparisons between Apple, PC manufacturers and retail stores.

It's not that so much that you can't pass an opportunity to deliberately praise Apple through the most weird (and disturbing) means imaginable; including constant and deliberate mentions of Apple stock value, that no one but you find a meaning. What's more annoying to me at least, it's the fact that you deliberately try to offend our intelligence by deliberately faking disinterest.

To your credit, you are one Apple person I've met in my life that really gives a meaning to the word fanboy. And in some weird way I do somewhat respect that. You just stick to your guns and that is commendable. But, boy, MacMan. I do wish that these forums had a lot more Apple fanboys around. But a little more intelligent and better argumentative than you.

Have a nice day.

MacMan

Partition Master
But you deliberately posted a link to an article making deliberate comparisons between Apple, PC manufacturers and retail stores.

It's not that so much that you can't pass an opportunity to deliberately praise Apple through the most weird (and disturbing) means imaginable; including constant and deliberate mentions of Apple stock value, that no one but you find a meaning. What's more annoying to me at least, it's the fact that you deliberately try to offend our intelligence by deliberately faking disinterest.

To your credit, you are one Apple person I've met in my life that really gives a meaning to the word fanboy. And in some weird way I do somewhat respect that. You just stick to your guns and that is commendable. But, boy, MacMan. I do wish that these forums had a lot more Apple fanboys around. But a little more intelligent and better argumentative than you.

Have a nice day.

I say BULLSHIT! It doesn`t matter what I say, if it has Àpple in it the bigots come out every time! I thought I made myself clear, but some people believe what ever they want to believe. How in hell can you post something about tech sales and leave out the biggest player of them all? A company bigger than Microsot, Intel, and HP combined... tell me how do you do it? You have to insult someone because they mention Apple? By the way, I run windows 7 and ubuntu NOT OS X, so please show a little respect, or have you never been taught to respect your elders, because I'm quite certain I'm a lot older than a whipper-snapper such as you! Honestly, the anti Apple bias in here is palatable and makes you look dumb!

Hell, I thought this one time I won't mention Apple and I won't get bashed or insulted, but you biggoted bastards can't resist insulting me anyway, because that's what bigots like to do.... bash other because they have a different opinion then yourself!

Last edited: