Upgrading our benchmarking machine

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hi all:

It doesn't happen that often, but once in a while I like to see what parts in our main benchmarking rig should be upgraded, so that we both keep with the times and also deliver relevant results to our readers. I've never been fully pleased with our current machine, which you can see here, and I figure with Nehalem right around the corner, it's a good time as ever to make sure the machine is up to standard.

So, I'm looking for advice on a few things. Besides the hardware being reviewed itself, I don't like the Antec P182 for benchmarking, as it's not a full-tower and doesn't have the best airflow scheme. We need to upgrade to a full tower that's easy to deal with, and preferably one that looks good, in case we ever want to snap some photos.

The second issue is the CPU cooling. Up to now, we've been using the Corsair Nautilus, and while it's served us well, I think the time to retire it is now. Its performance isn't that much better (if at all) than a CPU cooler, so I'm looking at our options.

What chassis' would you guys recommend? I have the SilverStone TJ10 on the Skulltrail machine and like it, but should we use another? I am not a chassis guy in the least, so I'm up for all ideas. Before anyone says, "don't use a case", that would be the best choice, but I don't have the room here to keep a full computer laying out all the time.

CPU cooling... should we begin using an air cooler, or instead go with another external water-cooling system? I'd like to avoid internal at all costs, since it's very unlikely to be suitable for swapping CPUs all the time, much less motherboards. The other problem is that the most effective air coolers on the market are not that fun to swap either, especially if all you want to do is swap the CPU... because the back bracket might slide around a bit.

As it stands right now, I think I'd like our static testing machine to include:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 3.2GHz
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage Extreme for CPU and GPU
RAM: Corsair 4GB DDR2, Corsair 4GB DDR3
Graphics Card: AMD 4870 (would replace the 9800 GTX)
Audio: ??? Should we stick with onboard, or an add-in?
Storage: 320GB 7200.10 x 2, 500GB 7200.11 x 2
ODD: DVD-RW, BD-ROM
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000W
Display: Gateway XHD3000
Chassis: ???
Cooling: ???
Et cetera: Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit

The goal (although it might be an ambitious one) is to revamp both our GPU and CPU methodologies before Nehalem launches. The CPU methodology will be the more important one, and will require me rebenchmark all of our CPUs on the new setup, hopefully before our Nehalem sample arrives. The same will happen with the GPU testing, but that might be held off for a bit longer since it requires a lot more time (since we do everything manually).

The QX9770 would be replacing our QX9650 because it's 3.2GHz... on par with what the top Nehalem launch chip will be. Up to now, I've been using two different motherboards depending on whether it was CPU or GPU benchmarking, so I'd be shifting it down to one to keep things simple. We are also long overdue for moving up to 4GB, so it's about time that happens, as well.

I am not yet sold on how our hard drive configuration will be, but we will use four or more hard drives. One will include Linux, for both CPU and hopefully GPU benchmarking, while another will be used exclusively for SYSmark. One 500GB will be recruited for both the CPU and GPU benchmarks, and will remain in tact like that for a while. I'm still unsure what I'll use the other one for. Who knew that a benchmarking rig would require so much planning??

Anyway, I'd love input on anything mentioned here. We write content for you guys, so we want to make sure you are completely satisifed with both our setup and how we conduct our testing. If you are happy, we are happy. If you have any comments of suggestions, or flames, please throw them at us.

Thanks guys.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
The Nautilus... ugh. Sorry mate, but CPU coolers like the TRUE Black should easily beat that into a pulp. Those self-contained WC loops are just overpriced gimmicks, and they just bug me as many look at them and think it is real watercooling. I'd say just get the end all be all air cooler, and be done with it. It will still cost less than a WC loop of any sort. TRUE Black seems to get the best marks in the majority of reviews.

As much trouble as it is to use a case for reviews, I am one of the few holdouts that want to see reviews done inside a real case. Not sitting out on a desk (or a computer tech station) without any or enough airflow. I've heard people rather like the TJ10, but I don't really know of a case to recommend. Well, perhaps the Cosmos S... I love that case, but to pricey for me to "hope" I can fit my radiator into it without issues. It can hold your Skulltrail board though...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I am well-aware that the Nautilus is not the ideal cooler, and it never was. I've been using it for almost two years now though, and the block itself is in rough shape, so I know that something needs to be changed. I've never even heard of the TRUE Black, but it looks like one great cooler. What's the difference between this and the original Ultra 120 eXtreme, though?

Regardless, I'll get a few in. Air has a few drawbacks (namely the back bracket), but in the end it's going to be a less clunky setup and a more efficient one. Thanks a lot for the recommendation.

As for the chassis, I don't really care for anything that Cooler Master makes. I prefer the clean look, and one that's not going to have parts sticking out of each side. The TJ10 might be the best idea... it's huge, offers killer airflow schemes and I could really install all of the hard drives at the same time and now worry about them burning up (it allows a top-mounted fan above).

Thanks for the suggestions Kougar.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Besides the color, supposedly they've done minor tweaking to the eXtreme's design, but otherwise it's just the current model of their Ultra 120 lineup. I think they stopped making all the other various 120's, but I might be wrong.

Just to be blunt, why should someone pay twice the price of the best air cooler, and get not even the same performance? I've seen plenty of results, but this one has both the Nautilus and Extreme on the same graph so it makes for a quick link in a pinch. Link

I also certainly bet I know which one of those two will offer much better performance with a good CFM but low noise (or silent) fan. And it won't be the Nautilus. :)

Any watercooling block should require a bracket, and although mine didn't ship that way Swiftech eventually released a bracket kit for it. Even without one a waterblock should require removing the motherboard to mount it for the first time.

At this point I've come to accept that to get good performance, there isn't a quick or easy mounting method. Intel's pushpin method is hell just getting to work anyway after the pins have seen a few mounts. :)

The Cosmos S is really the only CM case I've given serious thought about, especially as it was built to hold either 3 120mm fans in the top or to hide a triple radiator with fans. Seeing one up close in a Fry's Electronics, the interior is simply huge and it fits EATX, server boards, or absurdly long GPUs easily.

I had forgotten about one of the drawbacks though, the side panel 250mm fan means you couldn't use it to test many tall CPU coolers, and the case lacks a reset button. I also never cared for the power button, which activates by sensing your finger. Space and large interrior/drive capacities aside, it's probably not a good testbed case in hindsight.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I think I'm having a hard time figuring it out... you don't particularly like the Nautilus, right?

;-)

I've e-mailed Thermalright about the TRUE Black, so I hope they're able to send me a couple. The fact is, swapping that water-cooling was somewhat simple, but it's clunky as hell. An actual CPU cooler that's more effective is going to please me too much to detract from the fact that it's more difficult to install. That cooler looks great, works well and looks great. I'm all about it looking great, as well.

The Cosmos S is really the only CM case I've given serious thought about, especially as it was built to hold either 3 120mm fans in the top or to hide a triple radiator with fans. Seeing one up close in a Fry's Electronics, the interior is simply huge and it fits EATX, server boards, or absurdly long GPUs easily.

I have nothing against CM for a regular PC, but for a benchmarking rig, I like to keep things as simple as possible. I love the internals to the TJ10, and I guess it would just be smart to go at it again since I'm already familiar with that one. Plus, if some benchmark rubs me the wrong way, I know that the chassis would be able to survive a loving chuck across the room.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Okay. To be fair. The Nautilus was a significantly better self-contained WC system than most of the others out there. But this is like saying AMD's 780G graphics is the absolute best in it's class.... it IS, but it is still only integrated graphics!

Even on these forums users have taken a look at WC loops like the Nautilus or their own results with self-contained loops, and assume the same applies to real watercooling and then toss it all out the window for good. Okay, I'll stop now, I swear. :)

Looking through it again... I think you only need discreet audio if you plan to review audio hardware/software. And I agree, Vista SP1 Ultimate is definitely the OS to use...

Good luck with your testing build Rob!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Thanks man.

I do understand your angst against the external water-cooling, and I agree completely.