Upgrading my video card.

leecho7

Partition Master
Well, I'm going to be upgrading my mobo and graphics card next week. I'm thinking of getting the ATI x1800xt 512mb card.

Quick question though, is it recommended to get an ATI crossfire mobo instead of a nvidia chipset to use this card? I'm only planning to use 1 card.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'd go with an NVIDIA chipset.. it seems more stable/feature rich than the ATI version.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
From personal experience, I would say nVidia. I have also been told great things from Kyle at All American Computers about the x3200 chipset from ATI. He absolutly loves that chipset. But you cannot go wrong with either and I am only recommending nVidia because its what I use and I have had 0 problems with it. Ever.

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
For single card use, either chipset will deliver you dreay, silky smooth performance. ATI's 3200 shipset and NVidias offerings...

The only time it matters is if yo uare going t opick a side on the dual card equation, then your vendor really comes into play.

But if you are 1 Video card, and happy... it toally bois down to who you want to give your money to!

leecho7

Partition Master
I decided to dish out extra $ to get myself top of the line ATI card. I'm talking about the x1900xtx, or the nvidia 7950 series. So over the weekend, I must contemplate on which card to get throughout a long period of meditation and fasting while beating a daishiki on a rock with a stick.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'd get the 7950GX2, but I am not sure how much faster it is than the X1900XTX. I would imagine it would be a decent boost though.

Bobbythecat

E.M.I.
I guess you ought to just to all the way if you're going for the top end! Either card I think would be overkill anyways for games down the line! Good times.