upgrading memory

GTstreblow

Obliviot
Currently I'm using a DELL Dimension 8250 with pentium 4 processor at 2.4ghz w/533mhz front side bus/ 512k l2 cache. My memory is 512MB PC1066 RDRAM with 2x256 modules. I have two available slots to upgrade more memory. I found on DELL website that this system has a max memory of 1.5GB. I would like to get the most memory for the best speed. If I get 2x512 modules to fill the second bank would this put me over the 1.5GB. And if not does it matter which slots I put the 2x512 into. I know that matched modules have to be in the same bank but unsure if smaller modules vs. larger modules make a difference which banks they go in. Would really appreciate some help on this decision. seems like every where I read its pretty vague. Thank you.

madmat

Soup Nazi
You can run the config you're suggesting just fine. Just add the new RIMMs where the open slots are and you're golden.

madmat

Soup Nazi
If I don't answer to one of anyone's questions it's not that I haven't seen it it's just that I don't have the answers you need. I don't believe in just posting irrelevant crap when it's not helping anyone unless I'd like clarification on a point or the poster need empathy.

I think most of the other guys (and gals) here do the same so if you do fail to see an answer to something you ask (or anyone else asks) it's not that we're ignoring it but we just have no clue how to help.