Unrecognized Device

Archr

Obliviot
First of all, I'm not real computer savvy, thats why I'm here asking for help.
Here's my problem. When I disconnect my external HDD, I get an error msg. when I reconnect. It says "device not recognized".
Now I fixed this once on Rob's advice by uninstalling the device and rebooting, however this little trick won't work anymore after several trys.
Please help ! :eek:
Oh, almost forgot,
250g Maxtor
Vantec case
USB connect

Last edited:

T-Shirt

E.M.I.
Are you disconnecting by just pulling the USB cord out?
or using the windows "Eject device" button?
If you just pull the plug, windows wiil be confused, until you reboot

Archr

Obliviot
I never could use the "Eject device" button from the time I installed the HDD. It always told me I couldn't disconnect at this time and to try later, over and over and over,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
After closing everything I would switch off the power and that worked fine up untill now.
I've tried rebooting and using diffrent USB ports several times today. No joy.

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
was there any software that you installed for the hard drive? Some sort of button manager for one touch backup?

If so, try removing that.

Sometimes those put a port manager to wait for specific activity on the USB bus, and that monitor can futz stuff up.

Archr

Obliviot
Yes madmat, I do. Duh, why didn't I think of that.
I'll give it a try.
Also, I'm wondering, since I have numerous USB devices plugged in ( all onboard or PCI card ports ) if the drive isn't drawing too much power and might be in need of a powered USB adapter.

Jeff

Archr

Obliviot
By power brick, if you mean does it ( the HDD ) have it's own power suppy, yes it does. I'm refering to a powered USB hub, the type that allows for plugging in numerous devices.
The HDD was originally plugged into a 2.0 USB card (pci). when that stopped working I tried the 1.0 port on the front of the tower and that worked for a while but eventually failed also.

madmat

Soup Nazi
The HDD enclosure isn't powered by the USB interface when it has an external power source, that's the reason I asked. Anyways, did you try it on another PC?

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Sounds like your device is pulling more than the recommended voltage on the USB and it is frying the controller. Theory at least...

Archr

Obliviot
Re: Tech daddy's comment. The HDD itself does get quite hot lately. Yes HOT, not just overly warm. Can't give a temp reading though.

Re:Madmat's suggestion. As I'm typing this, the HDD is plugged into my other PC ( an old junker Micron ) and is working fine. It's presently copying files from the badboy HDD to the internal 120G Maxtor.
Keeping my fingers crossed.

moon111

Coastermaker
This might be a simple solution, but I've seen it clear up a few problems in the past with hardware devices not working properly.

1. Unplug computer.
2. Hold power button in for 30 seconds
3. Plug computer back in and turn on.

Are other USB devices working?

mayhem

Obliviot
Maybe a different approach..USB Driver / Stack

Not sure as this could still be a number of problems, But i would suggest start looking at the USB driver / Stack..

If you goto the device manager & disable the usb hub / controller that is controling the device. This might solve the problem or disabling another hub / controller might do so... Make sure any usb devices are ok to be "interrupted"
Also it might solve the problem with a little side affect which i have yet to find the answer for all situations, You will be reduced to usb 1.0

Their are registry keys to modify to reload stacks & other various methods & tricks to try.

Last edited: