Unreal Tournament 3 Will Be Available On Linux

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
As posted in our news:
It's been assumed for a while that Unreal Tournament III would be available for Linux, but it's now confirmed, thanks to a forum posting by Epic Games' VP Mark Rein. I have to say, Epic is one game developer that has a clue. So many companies shun alternative operating systems like a plague, but Epic embraces the fact that everyone has different tastes, but everyone wants great games to play. Kudos to them for never giving up on non-Windows operating systems, even when sales numbers are not likely uber-impressive.
<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
unreal_tournement_3_linuxbound.jpg
</td></tr></tbody></table>Mark Rein is the VP of Epic Games as well as being their forum administrator. He had stated earlier this week: "We're a multi-platform company folks please come to grips with that. We like the PC. We like the 360. We like the PS3. We like the Macintosh. We like Linux. We will deliver UT3 for all of these platforms and it will rock on every one."

Source: Phoronix
As a Linux user, I love seeing these kinds of announcements. Epic is one of the few gaming companies who don't care what OS their customers are using... they will try to support you, as you support them. This isn't new, either. I've played a fair amount of both UT and UT2003/2004 under Linux, so the supports been this way for a while. I just have to wonder when other game developers will realize that Linux is a viable platform to develop for, especially those with games based on UEIII (which I assume is much easier to deploy to Linux than other engines).

Seatwo

Obliviot
Yeah its always good to see games released for Linux, shame it doesn't happen more often. Just wish there were more games released in Linux, then i wouldnt have to duel boost with windows for the gaming side of things.

Xyres

Obliviot
Yeah, thats cool, i think that all games should come out for every thing but that just me. Oh well, i guess that just not the way the gamming industry works. ;)

ComradeWolf

Obliviot
Agreed it is nice to see a game coming of for the Linux, giving those with such a chance to live the gaming life to the fullest. I also agree with Xyres, games should be released for every type of computer and possibly consoles too.