Ultra Products X2 550W PSU

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The original X-Connect is arguably one of the most popular power supplies of recent memory. It was one of the first power supplies to introduce modular cables, making it possible to keep the inside of your computer very tidy! We are taking a look at version 2 now, so let's see what's been updated!

Discuss the review here!

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I absolutely love mine. I didn't and haven't noticed anything out of place with my power supply, but glad you caught it. This thing is truely a beaut. It's Sli certified, offers plenty of cables at many different lengths, and as you've shown, is very powerful. I myself had to make sure the fan was spinning it was so quiet! This is an excellent power supply for almost anyone's needs. If you want looks, reliablilty, and the awesome modular style, this is definitely the way to go.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I've still got one of the first versions out, but it's time for a upgrade due to the new standards and pin counts. This one might make for a good replacement.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Yeah, for the price it's a great PSU, no, it's not a PC P&C but then again, nothing else is. Plus it's nearly half the price as a 510 Express SLI and the modular lines are really a beauty.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
My only complaint with the old version is that the cables were way to stiff to route way out of the way. These look like there won't be any problem at all, as a matter of fact, with them being flat, that will really help in hiding them under the MoBo and such.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Yep, they're pretty easy to fold and route. I ran mine to my 5.25" drives through a gap between the mobo tray and the case supports.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I think I'm going to look into one of those, at least chect for the best deal anyway. I'm still saving for a new video card and CPU...............:)

madmat

Soup Nazi
Cool, I was a dyed in the wool Antec fan but as far as I'm concerned the X-2 is every bit as good as any Antec and just drop dead sexy. They've got a UV Blue version out now too with windows and an LED fan if you're into that sort of thing.

They're coming out with a UV green version soon too.

Last edited:

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I Used to use Antec all the time also, but I had a TruePower 480 die and it took several components along with it, now I don't use them anymore. I'm always looking at the smaller vendors with good solid reps...............;)

werty316

Partition Master
Sweet PSU and it would probably be my next PSU maybe as I had the original X-Connect and never had any problems with it. The Flex-Force cables is a great upgrade from those stiff X-Connect cables.