UK Store Wants to See an End to the 'Cable Con'

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
If you keep up with current tech trends, you're likely aware that where audio/video cables are concerned, the market is chock-full of snake oil models. Even just a couple of months ago, we linked to a story at PC Mag that compared five HDMI cables to each other, ranging from $3 to $120, and their conclusions stated that all of them displayed content at equal quality.

cable_con_070611.jpg

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Good for them. It's time retailers stopped lying to customers about how HDMI cables are.

No kidding. It's so offensive to the senses to look at a display of HDMI cables and see it say that "Cables make a difference!"... it's just an out-right lie.

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
I'm gonna go to wal-mart and if I see anything like that display, I'm gonna tape a piece of paper on the end so it will say "Cables make a difference, only if you need a freaking 30 foot cable!"

:p

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I'm gonna go to wal-mart and if I see anything like that display, I'm gonna tape a piece of paper on the end so it will say "Cables make a difference, only if you need a freaking 30 foot cable!"

:p

Exactly! It's only when long distances are concerned does quality really begin to matter. 5-10 foot cables used in 95% of home theater / HDTV setups just aren't long enough to matter. :)