UK Man Jailed for 'Inciting Racial Hatred' on Twitter

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
By now, it should be a secret to no one that whenever you post something online, it's there to stay. Never has this fact been clearer than with the advent of social networking sites, such as Facebook. There have been many stories over the years where people have lost their jobs because of things they've said or done online, and others where people have gone to prison. As it appears, there's no country quite like the UK where what you say online can get you into real trouble.

fabrice_muamba_032512.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I am unfamiliar with the laws of the UK but I know that this wouldn't happen here in the States. Westboro Baptist anyone? From the story, the guy is a colossal prick but I don't know how racism can be deemed illegal. As deplorable as it it, it's an opinion and governments cannot legislate opinions.

I understand that they are trying to make an example out of the guy but I can't imagine that this is going to be very effective.

marfig

No ROM battery
It's particularly troubling this notion that spewing racial verborrhea is considered inciting racial hatred. When thinking of the latter, I'm always thrown back to speeches inciting violence against people based on their race. Not some monkey embarrassing himself on public.

As tough as this may be for some to accept, I actually defend the right for someone to be a racist. I'll secretly always hold a desire to decorate his face with my fists (and with a good opportunity put it in practice). But that no one can deny him his attitude, I also believe. Indeed this seems like an attack on his free speech rights. But I'm sure if he was a bit more eloquent, he could be a politician and pass on a law that stopped Muslim women from covering their face and be considered a public servant for the cause of the good and civilized west. No prejudice there.

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
Westboro Baptist Church is a good example. They are not allowed in Canada as what they're saying is considered hate speech here. I'm not sure whether this is a good or bad thing. There are other examples. Ann Coulter, if you're familiar with her, was harassed by authorities and warned not to say anything that would be deemed hateful the last time she came up here. It seems America is far more protective of free speech rights than even Canada. one of the most liberal of countries.

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
Yeah, I've seen that. Can they never just give the news? Why does it always have to biased and filtered for the benefit of a political party or other entity?

marfig

No ROM battery
TV stations in USA have openly been politicized. They have been a little all over the world, let's not make the mistake of single out the USA. But this country just took it to a whole new (and openly public) level. A good bunch of Americans don't even care about TV in their country anymore for this reason, except for entertainment shows.

The elevation of free speech to the status of almost a national anthem have eventually led to highly questionable interpretations of journalist professional ethics. I mean, the Journalist's Creed hasn't changed in over 100 years. But the interpretation of its precepts has in ways that best serves the interests of the professionals and the companies they represent. (that's what you get when you write vague s* that you pretend to pass for a rule of conduct).

There's such a thing as too much civil rights. Human societies are regulated for a reason. Left to our own devises, we tend to mess up. To me, the problem of channels like FOX or CBS is not an issue of journalistic integrity per se, but a consequence of the way the american society has come to understand and exercise their rights; A degeneration of ethics when you overvalue free speech.

Someone will ask me where then do we draw the line. I always have trouble with this question, because for all matters where something is obviously wrong, the answer is that the line is right there. I mean, where else? The idea that we should hold it for a moment and discuss ethical behavior before changing anything, as if ethics was something that could actually be fully realized, is exactly what puts us in this situation where we slowly erode our principles. By not acting, we are indeed acting.

Just one more thing I'd like to add in relation to this: The web is, on the other hand, the most dangerous thing that happened to journalism in terms of professional ethics. In here no one needs to be a journalist, but everyone can pretend they are. What's worse, readers often realize the person who writes as if they were doing journalistic work. You head on to a website like Ars Technica and you'll see people from all walks of life writing to it... every time some news piece is questioned or questionable for its integrity, there's always someone defend the journalistic integrity of the author or the website in general. Trouble is, the author isn't a journalist and the website isn't officially credited as news media.

This dilution of the profession weakens it. It was as if because you applied a patch to your daughter sore knee you are a doctor. Come with time (and that time has already come) the profession looses its identity and the professionals their respect.

Last edited: