UBUNTU 13.0

MacMan

Partition Master
Considering how similar Linux and Unix is someone has now finally come out with a Wine-like software solution (Darling, see link below) that runs OS X apps that makes Linux, including Ubuntu, of course, all the more interesting. Regarding Ubuntu it is still my favorite Linux distro, but I have to admit that the latest Mint gives it a good run for the money. However, as much as I like Ubuntu, I'm actually really liking Windows 8 quite a bit lately and that is something that I never thought I would do, especially considering how great Windows 7 was, and still is as far as I'm concerned. It has served me well over the past two years, so thanks Microsoft.

http://arstechnica.com/information-...nux-with-wine-like-emulator-for-mac-software/

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Thanks a lot for that link, that's quite interesting, and it's something I'll have to test out soon. I remember hearing about a project a couple of years ago that would allow you to run Linux apps on OS X, but I think it up and disappeared not long after it was announced. I think the demand for the vice versa scenario is a lot higher though.

Have you given it a try?

MacMan

Partition Master
Thanks a lot for that link, that's quite interesting, and it's something I'll have to test out soon. I remember hearing about a project a couple of years ago that would allow you to run Linux apps on OS X, but I think it up and disappeared not long after it was announced. I think the demand for the vice versa scenario is a lot higher though.

Have you given it a try?

Not yet, but will when I'm not so busy. You might have been referring to Fink and Fink Commander below:

http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/05/0...-applications-in-os-x-a-complete-walkthrough/

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I wouldn't even know what OS X software to install. If you could get Final Cut to run or something like that, that'd be -amazing-, but I have doubts... it's a little robust.