Two Monitors Are Better Than One

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
I've heard from what must be a hundred different people that adding a second monitor to your setup can increase your productivity two-fold, although I'm still not sold. Now, if you had two sets of hands, then I could see how that would be the life. But as Kim Komando of USA Today claims, once you go dual, you'll never go back.

In case you are unaware how to choose and purchase a second monitor, tips are given, but believe it or not, bigger in this case is not always better. If your main screen isn't huge, then the second one shouldn't be either, and resolutions also need to be taken into consideration. If your main monitor supports 1680x1050 and the second supports 1280x1024, then the two will not melt into each other, which will make for some odd times if you run your mouse cursor along the bottom of the screen from one to the next.

The good thing about a dual monitor setup is the fact that it's more affordable than ever to go that route. Solid monitors can be had for $200, and given the amount of extra productivity that's promised, it could very-well pay for itself soon. I'm still wondering how one large monitor would fare compared to two smaller ones, though. If you have a nice 30", like the Gateway shown below, couldn't you be just as productive? Or is there something specifically about having a second physical display that keeps your attention better?

gateway_xhd3000_news_logo.jpg

Monitors can be adjusted to different resolutions. However, flat panels usually work best at their native resolution, which is expressed by figures such as 1,600 by 1,200 pixels. The two monitors should have the same native resolution. But you may need a resolution other than the native resolution of a particular monitor, so check the monitors in the store to be sure they work for you.

Source: USA Today