Tribute to fallen sodas!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hah, after reading the title to this article, I just had to take a look. If you are not a huge soda buff (like me), there are countless flavors that might pass you by. Taking a look at this list, I couldn't BELIEVE how many different variants of Coca Cola and Pepsi there's been over the years. Then there is Mr. Pibb, which I didn't even really know ever died off (but thanks to American Dad!, I pretty much know the story, haha).

I also can't believe that "Orbitz" is listed. It was the strangest drink ever, but I remember drinking it by the gallon as a kid. It was one of those fads... it looked far cooler than a normal can of pop, and was far tastier as well. I wish they were still around, if not for anything but the novelty.

http://www.gunaxin.com/a-tribute-to-fallen-dead-discontinued-sodas/11115

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I used to love Slice as a kid. It had that real fruit juice in it that just made it taste better. Now that 7up changed their formula slightly it's just as good, but I had still forgotten completely about Slice...

That is very interesting about Mr. Pibb. I used to like it as a kid, but I didn't realize the formula changed with Pibb Xtra...

Mr. Pibb hasn't not died off at all (unfortunately). Every Costco only sells Coke fountain products including Mr. Pibb... most establishments that have soda fountains and serve Coke-only products also use Mr. Pibb. Movie theaters and gas stations especially still do this, as I am sure they get a nice discount from Coca-Cola for snubbing all other brands. Dr. Pepper is just better in my opinion!

Citra. Wow. I really loved that one and was unhappy when Coke ceased making it. It had a very distinct flavor that all the other citrus drinks like Fresca weren't even similar to. It was a very unique citrus/lemon-lime mix, despite all the myriad of lemon-lime and citrus drinks nothing tasted close to it. Closest possible match would be Squirt, but Squirt was way more sour. Citra is exactly like 7UP in that you drink one of them and finish, you just want to drink another for that crisp bubbly feeling... not so with Squirt.

I had no idea it was rebranded into a Fanta drink... now I will have to try and find it. :) It was all the better as it was caffeine-free, about the only citrus drink that was...

Last edited:

slugbug

Coastermaker
Here in Montreal we had KIK Cola when I was a kid. It was better than Coke and the bottle was 12oz compared to the wimpy 6oz Coke bottle.
One soda I haven't had in a long time is Old Jamaican Ginger Beer. I haven't seen it in stores for years.There's nothing like an ice cold ginger beer on a hot day.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
The LIFESAVER Drinks look good, I could almost say we froze them in ice cube trays, but then that may have been Kool-aid.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I have been drinking Dr. Pepper my entire life.

I have a Dr. Pepper form Dublin Tx unopened and on my desk that will never be opened.

What are these other "sodas" you speak of?

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Here in Montreal we had KIK Cola when I was a kid. It was better than Coke and the bottle was 12oz compared to the wimpy 6oz Coke bottle.
One soda I haven't had in a long time is Old Jamaican Ginger Beer. I haven't seen it in stores for years.There's nothing like an ice cold ginger beer on a hot day.

If you ever get the chance or happen to be traveling through the US deep south (around Alabama), ya might try Buffalo Rock. It's honestly the strongest ginger ale I've ever had. People that never had it before often cough after the first swig as it tickles your throat. :D The stuff is great for clearing your sinuses and settling an upset stomach due to the ginger in it. Much stronger than any other ginger ale out there, but they sell it in local supermarkets over there.

I have a Dr. Pepper form Dublin Tx unopened and on my desk that will never be opened.

What are these other "sodas" you speak of?

Is that the sugarcane version or the original formula version? They still make and ship both!

The original formula for Dr. Pepper was so strong/heavy it made me want to poor it over ice, that stuff was incredibly strong compared to the Dr. Pepper sold in any store today! Believe it or not Walmart had cases of the original formula Dr. Pepper for some one-time promotion thing... it was bit pricey, but very interesting to try!

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Is that the sugarcane version or the original formula version? They still make and ship both!

The original formula for Dr. Pepper was so strong/heavy it made me want to poor it over ice, that stuff was incredibly strong compared to the Dr. Pepper sold in any store today! Believe it or not Walmart had cases of the original formula Dr. Pepper for some one-time promotion thing... it was bit pricey, but very interesting to try!

The Orig is with Imperial Sugar, and is still sold in Texas as "Dublin Dr. Pepper". Not sure where if it is sold outside of Texas, but they were shipping it nationally for the 100 year anniversary or something a few years back.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dr_Pepper_types.jpg
Far left: reg dr pepper.
second: Imperial Sugar Dr pepper. (prob in one of the two bottling factories outside waco and Dublin.)
third: "Dublin" Dr Pepper.
Fourth: Honestly... no idea.

The current formula doesnt use imperial sugar, but is still awesome.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Glad I'm not alone with fond memories of soft drinks! I think most of you have interest in a greater number of them, though. I was a little boring and stuck to what I like and didn't branch out too much.

Kougar said:
Mr. Pibb hasn't not died off at all

I wish I was able to try the original, it seems like a classic. I've never tried either the old or new... but interest was piqued thanks to American Dad!, haha.

slugbug said:
One soda I haven't had in a long time is Old Jamaican Ginger Beer.

I thought they sold it here a few years ago, but not sure about now. It seems like it's still being sold overseas though.

madstork91 said:

Hah, I don't drink it all too often, but I love that one as well.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
The Orig is with Imperial Sugar, and is still sold in Texas as "Dublin Dr. Pepper". Not sure where if it is sold outside of Texas, but they were shipping it nationally for the 100 year anniversary or something a few years back.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dr_Pepper_types.jpg
Far left: reg dr pepper.
second: Imperial Sugar Dr pepper. (prob in one of the two bottling factories outside waco and Dublin.)
third: "Dublin" Dr Pepper.
Fourth: Honestly... no idea.

The current formula doesnt use imperial sugar, but is still awesome.

Yes, but they also sell the current version of Dr. Pepper with cane sugar as well as the original formula version with cane sugar. I guess that was what they were doing as that sounds like when I bought two cases of the stuff. This is what I was talking about: http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/5417/img2843az6.jpg

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Yes, but they also sell the current version of Dr. Pepper with cane sugar as well as the original formula version with cane sugar. I guess that was what they were doing as that sounds like when I bought two cases of the stuff. This is what I was talking about: http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/5417/img2843az6.jpg

Yeah, Im guessing that the "orig formula with sugar cane" is the 4th can.

Not actually sure. 0.o

Dr. Pepper + Mrs. Bairds powdered donuts > mr pibb + red vines.

P.s. My knowledge of Dr. Pepper is actually about on par with with Texans. No, that is not a joke.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I tried Orbitz once. I just couldn't get past the idea of "things" floating around in my drink and the texture of said "things" was just flat nasty.

slugbug

Coastermaker
The only brand of Ginger Beer that's available here now is Canada Dry Golden Cockerel Ginger Beer. It's not bad but nowhere near as tasty as that Old Jamaican brand.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I was grocery shopping as usual today... I'm sure most people have heard of "Big Red". Well, I spotted bottles of something called "Big Blue" right next to them from the same company... I didn't buy one though!

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I was grocery shopping as usual today... I'm sure most people have heard of "Big Red". Well, I spotted bottles of something called "Big Blue" right next to them from the same company... I didn't buy one though!
Something like KY Jellie ?
His is the blue and hers is the red, when they get together, the lawyers make out like a bandit