Top Utilities For Enhancing OS X

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
OS X has been praised for its simplicity, power, sophistication and functionality. But can this power and flexibility be improved upon? Today we will examine three OS X utilities, Quick Silver, OnyX and Path Finder that all claim they can. But can they? We are about to find out.

Please welcome Don 'MacMan' Williams to the site as a contributing editor. We at Techgage look forward to his occasional injecting of Apple content onto the website. God knows we are overdue :D

You can read the article here and discuss it here.

Nice job! TextExpander would have been a nice mention, but I have no complaints regardless.

Here's a quick list of general OS X applications I would recommend:
  • Adium - The best instant messenger out there. Honorable mention: Chax, an iChat plugin
  • Chicken of the VNC - Program that lets you access machines romotely
  • Handbrake / VusualHub / MacTheRipper - For all your legal DVD backup needs
  • Parallels / VMWare Fusion - running virtual machines within OS X
  • SuperDuper! - For backing up (until Time Machine debuts, at least)
  • Transmit - One of the best FTP clients available

MacMan

Partition Master
How right you....

Nice job! TextExpander would have been a nice mention, but I have no complaints regardless.

Here's a quick list of general OS X applications I would recommend:
  • Adium - The best instant messenger out there. Honorable mention: Chax, an iChat plugin
  • Chicken of the VNC - Program that lets you access machines romotely
  • Handbrake / VusualHub / MacTheRipper - For all your legal DVD backup needs
  • Parallels / VMWare Fusion - running virtual machines within OS X
  • SuperDuper! - For backing up (until Time Machine debuts, at least)
  • Transmit - One of the best FTP clients available

How right you are! All of the programs you mention above are indeed great OS X programs and hopefully, I will get around to reviewing them someday?

All-in-all, I must say you have great taste in OS X programs hotsoda! :)

How right you are! All of the programs you mention above are indeed great OS X programs and hopefully, I will get around to reviewing them someday?

All-in-all, I must say you have great taste in OS X programs hotsoda! :)
Thanks.

Now that I think about it, I forgot to mention Max, ffmpegx, VLC and OpenOffice (since NeoOffice has been super-seeded, though the current version sans X11 is apparently pretty buggy).