Tobacco fine: $11,900; Cocaine fine: $482.50

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
As the one guy said
E.g. $34 fine per carton of cigarettes = $11,900
$482.50 for likely less than 1 oz of cocaine.

Makes sense to me.

Now there is a bit more weight to the cocaine and neither of you have added in the Mary Jane which makes it worse in both directions.

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
The whole drug war is a failure. The only winners are the big drug cartels. It's like alcohol prohibition, only worse. Drugs are bad news, but the focus should be on education, not incarcerating users that aren't a threat to anyone.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
As the one guy said

Now there is a bit more weight to the cocaine and neither of you have added in the Mary Jane which makes it worse in both directions.

The government doesn't get money from the sale of illegal cigarettes while it does get money from the sale of legal ones. Enough said.

I don't think the weight has anything to do with this. Cigarettes are legal, these ones aren't because you aren't allowed to dip into the pockets of the government. Cocaine is the far more serious drug, but the government doesn't sell an equivalent.

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
I don't think the weight has anything to do with this.

Weight should have plenty to do with it. A few milligrams of coke is enough to charge someone with possession but isn't going to get anyone very far. An ounce probably shouldn't carry the same fine as a Kilogram. I mean a brick is intent to distribute anyways, fines dont matter at that point your going to jail.

But if a guy gets pulled over driving a tractor trailer full of untaxed cigarettes you really think his fine should be less than a guy with enough coke for 2 people? Because scaling this case up that's pretty much where it stands.

The whole drug war is a failure. The only winners are the big drug cartels. It's like alcohol prohibition, only worse. Drugs are bad news, but the focus should be on education, not incarcerating users that aren't a threat to anyone.

While we probably all agree with where your going. Not a threat is putting too much faith in people. Someone on drugs is an immediate threat to peoples lives all the time. Sure most of the ones you notice are not. They're just ruining everything around them and we will leave out the stress they induce as a form of harm. Someone at work can get people killed with a drug habit. Most of the ones where I am at are fine, they get a job, first paycheck.... done. They stick around awhile till they die, get fired, go to jail for robbing someone, whatever.

Last edited: