To anybody who has had first-hand experience with the Logitech MX 518...

I have a few questions about the Logitech MX518, and I could not find any e-mail address on Logitech's web page. I am looking into getting a new mouse, which will be primaraly used for gaming. The two mice that I am looking at are the Logitech MX 518, and the Razer Diamondback. They both look equally good to me, and the features are evenly matched. But there are a few details about the MX518 that I'd like to know. Is the LED always on, even when the mouse is still? Is the USB connector gold plated? Is it easy to accidently press one of the sensitivity adjustment buttons? Have you ever used a Razer Diamondback? Which would you reccomend? Is there anything else I should know about it? As you may have guessed, this is primaraly aimed at Rob Williams. :)

EDIT- Darn, I just saw that there is a discussion about the MX518 in the reviews section where you can ask questions. Sorry for the unnecessary post, shame you can't delete posts here... Ah well, no harm done.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Welcome to the forums :)

The LED is always on, but you cannot see it, as the mouse is so flat against the surfice. I have never seen an Optical mouse that ever turns the LED off.. but I am not sure about the Razor.

USB Connector is not gold plated, and the buttons are not easily pushed. Sadly, I have not used a Razor mouse for a few years, but I do recommend this mouse.

The only other grip I have found after the review was published, is that sometimes the sound is delayed when you push the - or + buttons. However, that's only if you have sounds enabled :)

Hope that answers your questions!

No, I know the LED is always on, but on most optical mice, after the mouse has not been moved for about 5 real seconds, the led goes in to a much dimmer, low power mode. Does the MX518 do that? Also, it would be really cool if you ever get around to it to write a review of the Razer Diamondback. I do not own one, but they are also 1600dpi, and Logitech released the MX518 to compete with it. You can pick one up at www.razerzone.com. I dont want to rush anything, It would just be nice to have a review of both, you know what I mean? :)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Sorry, I thought you meant if the LED went completely off. It actually stays the same brightness all the time. Since it is not cordless, I don't know how important power saving is..

I would like to review the Razor mouse, and will in the future, something I'm working on. Just so much on the go atm, including three reviews. Time is tight!

Hopefully sooner than later tho..

Bobbythecat

E.M.I.
Speaking of MX518, which I use, I can't get it to work in CS anymore...it insists that I use a particular speed as the base speed, and gets faster and faster thereafter....and being on a secure server that has quite a few members that regularly get accused of "haxorz" and swiftly banned on other servers (even I, on a bad day, seem to do much better on other servers..) for owning everybody, having a mouse that does just as I desire it to is vital... Somehow, when I began using it, the pointer moved amazingly slowly, then slow, then a bit slow, rather slow, and finally acceptable. Now, it's fast, then pretty fast, pretty damn fast, then wow fast, and finally OMG I AM SPINNING JUST TO AIM AT YOU fast. Well, I'll figure it out, I suppose..

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That's real odd..

Maybe you should try re-installing your SetPoint software. Hopefully nothing is wrong with the mouse.

SgtSethiol

Obliviot
The only thing that I dont like about the mouse is the logitech software. M$ explorer mouse allows you to enable program specific settings as far the the buttons are concerned. Logitechs software doesnt allow for this kinda of customization(unless I am missing something). In Ravenshield, I use the forward/backwards buttons for reloading and switching fire modes. So everytme I start the game I have to switch the buttoms from generic to key assignment. Otherwise, I really really love the MX 518 mouse.