Tip: Don't review leaked movies...

Ben

Site Developer
Fox is basically just strong-arming this guy as it was THEIR FAULT IT WAS LEAKED! I'm not sure what they are trying to accomplish here since he even gave the movie a decent review. I don't honestly know how something like this leaks beforehand. What are they sending DVD's around with this on it? I would think that the studios aren't that retarded. Granted I know nothing how movie production works but seriously, FIX YOUR SHIT.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Sorry, this guy was a complete idiot for posting a review of a pirated movie. I am speechless that he even felt it was a good thing to do.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
sad truth? More of them probably do review pirated movies.

Was he high? or trying to make a statement about it?

Krazy K

Partition Master
What do you expect FOX to do? I won't compare this to killing a family or selling drugs to your Sunday school class but the line must be drawn somewhere. I agree with FOX, we all download things that don't belong to us but to do it and then force FOX to explain why they had a review of a movie that hasn't been released yet.
That is a way to see how much you mean to them, and to them he is worth less that their 'street cred.' Shame on him(for being so blatant and) for being a bad guy. He just got fired, I haven't heard about charges being filed...there's a silver lining to every cloud.

Ben

Site Developer
Sorry, this guy was a complete idiot for posting a review of a pirated movie. I am speechless that he even felt it was a good thing to do.

Reviewing movies is his job thats why he did it.

sad truth? More of them probably do review pirated movies.

Was he high? or trying to make a statement about it?

No he was just doing his job by writing a review.

What do you expect FOX to do? I won't compare this to killing a family or selling drugs to your Sunday school class but the line must be drawn somewhere. I agree with FOX, we all download things that don't belong to us but to do it and then force FOX to explain why they had a review of a movie that hasn't been released yet.
That is a way to see how much you mean to them, and to them he is worth less that their 'street cred.' Shame on him(for being so blatant and) for being a bad guy. He just got fired, I haven't heard about charges being filed...there's a silver lining to every cloud.

Fox shouldn't have fired him because all its doing is bringing bad PR. If they didn't want movie reviews to come out early they should fix their security protocols during production. As I said before, I don't think they just send around DVDs with the movie on it. The quality would be far too low and it would never fit. The DVD was released by someone who worked inside one of these production companies. They would have had to export to DVD size file, etc. If anyone needs to be fired, its that person.

You have to understand that in a business like films or news it doesn't matter what the source is, as long as the source is valid. He had a valid source and he ran with it. The movie was already "out there" on the Internet. If 5 million other people had already downloaded it illegally would it still have been wrong to review it? What about 10 million? How many people have to illegally download this before its ok to post a review? I'll stick to my original statement, FOX, FIX YOUR SHIT.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
A pirated version of a movie is not a valid copy of the movie. The person that is profiting from pirating the movie should also be fired and prosecuted. Any way you look at it, if you are gonna use an illegal object (this case it's a movie) to do your job then atleast have the common sense to not highlight your illegal source.

PS: The pirated copy was not even a final release and the final release can always be different. Then what is your review worth? Nothing.....

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I'm not sure if this is correct but I heard the pirated version wasn't even the final release. I've seen leaked movies without the final special effects or special audio effects added in so I know it would be normal if this was the case.

Pirated movies also tend to have poor graphics and audio quality, so basing a review off of one shows he isn't interested in offering the most unbiased review he can. As a professional writer he should have known better than to review an unreleased movie, let alone from an unauthorized, pirated source. I would have expected to be fired had I been in his shoes.

Ben said:
If they didn't want movie reviews to come out early they should fix their security protocols during production.

I'm sorry but this isn't a valid reason to allow official critics to review movies or music. Leaks are going to happen regardless of what they do. Just look at U2's last album... they have to be the most paranoid group and have the most secure distribution channels out there. They don't send out CDs to all parties before they go gold but instead flying everyone across the world to sit down in some room to listen and finalize the album. Yet it still was leaked before official release buy a legitimate music website. Regardless of the industry its going to happen one way or another.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Ben said:
Fox shouldn't have fired him because all its doing is bringing bad PR.

I disagree. Imagine the flack that Fox would be facing had they NOT fired him. It's their movie, so if they just let it slide, they'd essentially be saying that it's fine to download it pre-release, and who knows, maybe they'd feel the same about all of their other movies. Obviously that's not the case. It's never been legal to download a pirated movie, and people have been charged for it before (and music), so what makes it right for this reviewer to join the fray and download it as well and review it? Downloading movies isn't something too many people brag about, and for good reason.

I couldn't imagine working for a company who creates movies and then review one of their films that got leaked early. What in the world did he EXPECT to happen? He might find it hard to get another similar job... I'm not sure who's going to want to hire someone who knowingly pirates movies. It's not good PR.

Plus, what's the point of reviewing a half-finished film to begin with? The only thing he was trying to accomplish was to be the first on the web with a critique, but it sure bit him in the ass, didn't it?

If only NDA's in the tech industry were taken so seriously ;-)