Time for Nostalgia: 101 Classic Computer Ads

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Regardless of how old you are, it's likely that you enjoy sitting back and reading through an old magazine, or a really old magazine, just for fun. I have many old EGM's, GamePro's, Nintendo Power's and others, and it's great fun looking through just to see how far we've come along. There is a certain simplicity about those old mags, when games were games, and graphics didn't matter, but gameplay did.

Well, nostalgic reading aside, Boing Boing has posted a massive list of 101 different classic computer ads, and if these don't bring back memories (some where released before my time), then I'm not sure what will. The best one in my opinion is the one shown below. "If personal computers are for everybody, how come they're priced for nobody?" - You'd almost swear they were referencing current-day Apple's!

Ok ok! I'm kidding, please no e-mails!

old_computer_ad_081108.jpg

Seriously though, this is one MASSIVE list, and one very worthy of checking out regardless of how old you are. It's still amazing to me how far we've come in twenty years... but really, that could be said over and over in five year intervals, because even comparing today's computers to those of five years ago is incredible. Take a hard look at the ads out there today, because those same ads will be viewed again in twenty years in the same manner we are looking at these now... scary thought.

Source: Boing Boing