Time Crisis 4 Requires Purchase of Two Games for Two-Player Action

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Ripoffs in video gaming is nothing new. Whether it's EA's downloadable content for items that can be acquired through regular gameplay or rechargeable gamepad battery packs that need to be purchased separately... it sucks getting played for a fool. The latest case is with Namco-Bandai, creators of a great arcade-style shooter called Time Crisis 4. To mimic a true arcade experience, a normal gamepad is not used, but rather a Guncon 3 gun peripheral.

More often than not, if a game offers a special peripheral that's required, spares will be sold separately. This makes sense for more than one reason - namely, if it breaks. The Guncon 3 is apparently special however, and requires the game to be repurchased. For a game that costs close to $100, this is needless. I'm not familiar with Namco-Bandai's policies on third-party peripherals for their games, but it's unlikely we will see a unique mockoff anytime soon.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
gunconsep_120707.jpg

Source: Joystiq </td></tr></tbody></table>
Some non-game playing exec at Namco Bandai has decided that the gun controller that ships with Time Crisis 4 for the Playstation 3 cannot and will not be sold separately, even though there's a 2-player mode in the game. Their CSR's helpful suggestion? "You will need another copy of Time Crisis 4." It's as if the game is a license to use one gun controller—if you want more gun controllers, simply buy more licenses!

Source: The Consumerist - Via: Joystiq

MakubeX

Partition Master
This is simply ridiculous. And to think I was looking forward to this game. What a pity.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Sadly the drones will line up by the thousands to buy it and further reinforce this horrible policy. Makes me happy to not be a console owner.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
"Makes me happy to not be a console owner."

You let a single company with inane policies to decide whether or not you should be a console owner? That's like shrugging off Honda cars because you hate Mugen.

That aside, I do think it's ridiculous, especially since it was a game I was planning on getting. But without 2P action, who cares. No one wants to pay $200 for a single game.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
But I love Mugen!!! I love Honda even more! I just despise consoles and I guess I let my emotions speak instead of my brain.

Either way, policies like this if left unprotested will just make these companies braver and do more of this nonsense.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I actually like shooters. Especially in arcades. I dual wield in area 51 :)

Sadly, cost is the reason I never buy one for the consoles. I did buy a gun once for the ps1 when I got area 51 for christmas... My how i wish that gun worked now for the ps3...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I actually like shooters. Especially in arcades. I dual wield in area 51 :)

Sadly, cost is the reason I never buy one for the consoles. I did buy a gun once for the ps1 when I got area 51 for christmas... My how i wish that gun worked now for the ps3...

Was there more than one Area 51 in the arcades? There was one I used to play all the time... it was a huge quarter-sucker, but good.