TIM ...

Psi*

Tech Monkey
And my $.02 worth, Tango, can we just put you down as being most uncomfortable with the material and reflow process of Indigo Extreme? And, you have 1st hand knowledge of other products. You can also find things quickly on the net.

You seem to question whence I come ... fair enough.

I design RF thin/thick film attenuators & terminations from DC to ~20 GHz, with fractional watt to 300 watt power ratings. These products are an optimization of frequency characteristics and thermal dissipation. I have software to aid in this process and is the primary basis of my interest in high performance computing. To think that I was a Novell "Wizard" in the day ... sigh.

I also have active designs with next gen permanent & separable interconnects ... aka wire bonding like connections as well as RF (to 60 GHz) & high speed digital connectors with bandwidths to 50 GHz. I understand liquid crystal polymers (LCP), the stuff that most connector housings are made of. This requires the same simulation software, above.

I also write SBIR (Small Business Innovation Research) proposals to the DoD & DoE just as Enerdyne Solutions does. They have clearly been doing their home work & have further leveraged their expertise to get into commercial markets. That transition is a considerable accomplishment in it self. I have used COMSOL that they reference on their web site. COMSOL is multiphysics analysis software ... at the lower end of expense but validated none-the-less. Enerdyne Solutions is an upstanding company with continuing activity with the DoD.

Therefore, I have personal interest, business & professional experience and cause to understand new and different techniques and materials. Indigo Extreme represents such a process and material. I am also indicating that I fully understand what I am doing and comprehend possible consequences from education and years of experience. I will also "ask the stupid question" and make effort to get past my own prejudiced notions ... not always successful with that.

I am not a teenager, not that there is anything wrong with that.

In the absence of any credible failure complaint on the net due to the reflow process and 1st hand investigation of Enerdyne Solutions, I am recommending Indigo Extreme to anyone expecting to build a computer with an interest in maximum thermal relief.

Further, I will be upgrading this same computer in a few months to a hexa-core processor. I'll be sure to relay my thoughts as to the material removal when I get there. However, per their instructions available on their web site, I do not expect it to be any more difficult than removing a TIM such as AS5.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
This thread has gone a little bit further than my brain can handle, but where CPU lifespans are concerned, I am not quite sure heat is a major reason for failure. Someone at Intel once told me that overclocking has a far greater life-threatening effect on CPUs than heat does, so they pretty much played heat off as though it's not a major deal. Today, CPUs throttle, so it's near-impossible to kill a CPU because of heat (if you do manage it, it's probably because you did it on purpose, aka: removing the heatsink while it's running).

Tango, you misread Bill completely. He wasn't trying to allude to the fact that you got your paste for free, he was emphasizing the fact that he recommended it because it was cheap, and not because it was given to him for free. That's all too common in this industry, and evidenced by many hardware sites, by reviewers who don't truly know the product, but shill it off as if it's God's gift just because they'd supplied with it at no cost. Honestly, if you can't see what he meant by this, even after he clarified himself, I'm not sure what to say.