Thumb Drives

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Yeah I've got a PNY 512 for swapping over music or files for friends. As well as software for people without internet service. I had a PNY 256meg but I stuck it in a bad usb port and it fried. I met a man washed and dried his pny and it still worked. Says something about the quality!

T-Shirt

E.M.I.
Very handy, use them all the time to
take photos to the kodak kiosk for quick prints
carry tech tools/apps for PC repair and upgrades
general file save /store /distribution to computers without network/internet/broadband connections.
My son's school recently upgrade MOST of their computers, no more floppies (yay!) and CD/DVD burner is only on the teacher computers and email is restricted, so USB drives were recommended for moving homework/files/browser favorites to and school.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I've got 3, Corsair, X-Micro and some no-name I got as a gift from a old Army buddy.............;) I use them all the time when I go to my sons house to download large files (I'm extremely bandwidth limited). Couldn't ask for a easier way to transfer data and files.

liqnit

E.M.I.
i'm using mine which is genric 1GB and it works like a charm.
i really thonk it one of the best inventions of the century

BLuKnight

Obliviot
I use my 512 SanDisk all the time. I put my 256 SanDisk through the wash twice. After letting it dry completely, it still worked fine. I'm definately going to stick with SanDisk. :)

BLuKnight

Obliviot
Of course, no thumb drive is ever big enough. I filled up my 512 so fast. I'd get a 2GB or something, but I just got a laptop so my thumb drive doesn't need to pack as much in it.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Did you check out the review of the <a href ="http://www.techgage.com/review.php?id=3718">Corsair Voyager?</a>
4 gigs of swappable space in the palm of your hand. Imagine being able to boot a computer from one of those? lol I think that'd be a neat idea, being able to use campus pc's by rebooting them and changing the bios settings. Yes, I've run across computers on 3 seperate college campuses you can do that on.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I was going to try that with my Corsair, but I don't know if 1 gig is large enough to boot XP64....................:(

BLuKnight

Obliviot
That's where they're going eventually. You wouldn't store the entire Windows OS on an internal flash drive. Most likely, just the key core processes of the kernel. However, once they become affordable, I don't see any reason why you couldn't run the entire OS off of an 8 or 10 gig flash drive. MS would have to come up with something good at keeping that windows folder nice tidy and compact.

T-Shirt

E.M.I.
There are 4 gig drive available, and Intel announced today the expect NAND flash to begin taking over from hard drive for laptops begining next year (obivously a high end option to start) Half the power consumption and twice the boot speed in the demo version.
Over at www.bigbruin.com, BB tried a raid, using 4 thumbdrives
http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews05/article.php?item=thumbraid&file=1
with some sucess (some problems due to a bad hub or cheap flash drives) but as it showed It could work. (imagine this permenently attached to a usb or sata 2 port as a boot drive)

tugovony

Obliviot
I only have a 256mb thumb drive.

I use it to backup schoolwork, and for going back and forth between home and computer lab at school.

werty316

Partition Master
Well I don't ahve a thumb drive but I do use an external 80GB for backup of software oince and a while.

izzie

Obliviot
Wish I owned a thumb drive. Maybe will get one for Christmas gift. Only 6 more months to go to Christmas :(

LOOP

Obliviot
BLuKnight said:
Well, I just saw this article on Digg with the 32 bit hard drive. http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/03/21/samsung_unveils_ssd/ Have a look. It makes the strongest of geeks drool. I wouldn't mind having those and putting Windows on it. 32 gig is more than enough for windows and the swap file.

I run Windows XP on an 8 gigabyte partition. Works excelently, and whenever I get a crash and it needs to re-check the harddrive during bootup it goes SUPER FAST, since it only needs to check the 8 gigabyte partition.

SqueekyClean

Obliviot
izzie said:
Wish I owned a thumb drive. Maybe will get one for Christmas gift. Only 6 more months to go to Christmas :(

Did you try Ebay? On Ebay you can find thumbdrives for as cheap as 30 bucks. Can often get thumb drives for about half retail price.