Thermaltake Toughpower Modular 750W PSU

O

ObivioN_

forgotten..

well now that i heard of the new G92 from nvidia.. and sure all of u also had... ;)

im sure 850 will be enough for those beasts... i think...

F

Fredrik Åsenius

Fredrik Åsenius

First of all: That was a great review! Both words and images are very telling!

Got it in March. It is excellent, but before buying I read reviews on NewEgg's site, and those weren't too enthusiastic. A few had units that died after a very short while. One reviewer, however, had a fix. Not having your expertise or experience, I wonder if that is something you recognise? Had no problems myself.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ryType=0&Pagesize=10&SelectedRating=-1&Page=7

"Many people have stated that after awhile it goes bad, well mine hasnt but i did notice on the 24 pin connector to the motherboard some of the pins were set to wide apart not making suffiecient contact with my mobo connection causing brief shut-off's (its the power protection inside the unit) unhooked tightened the connectors inside the 24pin and works flawlessly since"

Sorry for my poor English. I'm from Sweden.

MakubeX

Partition Master
First of all: That was a great review! Both words and images are very telling!

Got it in March. It is excellent, but before buying I read reviews on NewEgg's site, and those weren't too enthusiastic. A few had units that died after a very short while. One reviewer, however, had a fix. Not having your expertise or experience, I wonder if that is something you recognise? Had no problems myself.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ryType=0&Pagesize=10&SelectedRating=-1&Page=7

"Many people have stated that after awhile it goes bad, well mine hasnt but i did notice on the 24 pin connector to the motherboard some of the pins were set to wide apart not making suffiecient contact with my mobo connection causing brief shut-off's (its the power protection inside the unit) unhooked tightened the connectors inside the 24pin and works flawlessly since"

Sorry for my poor English. I'm from Sweden.

What poor English? :confused:

madmat

Soup Nazi
I haven't noticed any such defect. The Toughpower 750W has been in my room-mate's PC since November of last year and been through a couple of upgrades without so much as a hiccup.

U

Unregistered

A very small note

Thank you both! Reassuring.
A very small note: Did a rebuild recently, and noticed the 20+4 pin on the motherboard was pulled out of the motherboard power socket rather easily. But once in place it stayed.

U

Unregistered

Thermaltake Toughpower W0116 750 watt psu

I got this psu the other day. But some points have been keeping my mind busy : one of them is the manufacturing date of this psu. Becasue on the box and inside the booklet it says '2006'. Does this mean that I bought an aging technology psu??? Secondly, Thermaltake company claims they use quality components inside the PSU, which I am rather suspicious of that. Because Thermaltake does not manufacture itself this psu, instead some third party lower level companies make them for 'Thermaltake'

As a result, I regret having bought this PSU. All comments are welcome...

madmat

Soup Nazi
It's a mature design but it's by no means "aging". Aging designs are dual rail PSU's with about 60% or less of the total PSU wattage rating available on the 12V rails. The 750W Toughpower is capable of putting 75% of it's 750W capacity out on the 12V rails alone.

As to the manufacturer of the PSU, it's made by Channelwell Technology (also known as CWT) who are the OEM for PSU's sold by Antec, Thermaltake, Koolance, Corsair, Xigmatek and many others. CWT makes some real quality units so don't regret a good PSU.

U

Unregistered

Thermaltake Toughpower W0116 759 Watt PSU

It's a mature design but it's by no means "aging". Aging designs are dual rail PSU's with about 60% or less of the total PSU wattage rating available on the 12V rails. The 750W Toughpower is capable of putting 75% of it's 750W capacity out on the 12V rails alone.

As to the manufacturer of the PSU, it's made by Channelwell Technology (also known as CWT) who are the OEM for PSU's sold by Antec, Thermaltake, Koolance, Corsair, Xigmatek and many others. CWT makes some real quality units so don't regret a good PSU.

Dear madmat, thank you very much for your informative comments. They really made me feel much better now. Because I bought this PSU after days of search for a quality PSU on the market. Thanks you again.