Thermaltake Releases SLI GPU Only PSU

madmat

Soup Nazi
Thermaltake has released a PSU that fits in the 5.25" bay that powers the GPUs in a SLI/Crossfire PC. It's rated at 250W continuous and 300W peak.

Pretty neat concept if you ask me. Read the specs here.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Cool yes.. but useful? Why not just use a large PSU to begin with and save room in your PC? Am I missing something?

madmat

Soup Nazi
There's been a buzz going around about dual rail PSUs and high end SLI rigs. It seems that the SLI rigs are overloading the relatively small split 12V rails on dual rail PSUs and causing stability issues.

This would cure that.

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
*THAT* is a hella good idea!.... depending on the price of the thing.
If you have Powersupply that is (lets say) marginal after upgrading to your new hardware base, you could then take the 2 cards that are going to kill your PSU, and give them the stability that they need, *without* killing your PSU. Hopefully, this will be a smaller $$ investiment then a new PSU. Proper cost position will make or break this component.

What I *dont* like is the passthru on the ATX/Motherboard lead so that it is exposed to the green "power switch" circuit. You can "count" on the fact that if I get my hands on one of these babies... that pass thru will be executed in favor of a more "integrated" version of the cabling... :D

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Wow, only fifty bucks? I expected it to be a retarded price to be honest, but that's definitely worth it now. If only for the extra security and stability of your system.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I don't like the power switch to be honest. I too often swap out cd's or move my case around, and see that as a possible drawback. If I accidently turn the switch off, the first thing I'll notice is no video response. Then I'll immediately start looking in the case and wires. I would have liked to seen the power automatically come on with the case psu. Same thing Tech-Daddy was talking about. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great idea, but I just don't like the power switch. They could have made the switch a bit nicer too.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I saw that on TT site a little bit ago, it should come in pretty handy for folks with high-end dual video card setups. I was talking to some folks on some other forums abot it and we were wondering what the thing will cost........Where did you find the $50 price tag Matt?????

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
It certainly looks interesting. I would like to see if it's absolutly necessary because kind of looks gimicky. However, dedicated power to dual GPUs is a sexy idea.

Worldstar

Obliviot
I like the idea of a power supply in a 5 1/4 inch bay. Thermaltake has really been coming out with some cool power supply designs. I used their powersupplies before and they were very quiet, could barely hear them over the sound of my computer fans.