Thermaltake Frio OCK & Jing CPU Coolers Review

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
All CPU coolers promise effective CPU cooling, but how each one manages their goal can vary wildly. One may be super-quiet but be the size of a car, while another may be modest-sized but sound like a jet engine. The Frio OCK and Jing from Thermaltake aren't so extreme, but make a perfect case for noise vs. size vs. cooling performance.

You can read through Ryan's in-depth look at Thermaltake's Frio OCK and Jing CPU coolers and then discuss it here!

marfig

No ROM battery
Thanks for the deep review and entertaining reading, as usual. I'm still digesting the Sesame Street reference. It stroke a deep chord as it reminded me of the Muppets (Sesame Street wasn't a big part of my childhood. The show for some reason wasn't available here until later. But The Muppets where everywhere). And even today I love it when they do that back and forth thing and all the moving in and out of the screen. No one hasn't lived until they laughed at Mahna Mahna.

So yeah, wow. What a throwback! Thanks for that. :)

It will be interesting to see where air cooling goes from here but until next time, today's episode has been brought to you by the letters T, and G and by the number 2

Interesting is the right word I'd say. I sincerely hope this is the last of this trend and something technologically revolutionary shows up, or we've seen the last of air cooling capabilities. Because bigger-is-better isn't just cutting it anymore.

As impressive as these coolers may be, I'm not in the mood to subject my vertical mobo setup to a 1 kg pressure for one, and not thrilled about adding a new clearance variable to my list of worries when buying hardware, for another.

Admittedly these are enthusiast products. But only to the extent that they can offer a solution beyond normal power usage. I can see myself interested in those temps and I'm not an OCer by any stretch of the mind. However, they are starting to present challenges that are just throwing us back in time. So, it should be interesting indeed. This will be either the last we've seen of air coolers, the start of a period of sheer madness (possibly the most likely), or the beginning of a better generation based on new technologies to bring the size down.

Last edited:

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
While digging around the Thermaltake website I found that they are quietly launching their own all in one liquid cooler so I think the company is starting to take notice of how capable this method of cooling has become and how popular it is.

Hmm...I checked the website just how and it looks like it's no longer posted. Strange.

One should hopefully be coming down the pipes to us if it's still being launched.

***EDIT: The Bigwater A80 is only posted on the global site.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I built a PC this past weekend for my grandmother using the FRIO OCK, and overall my experiences were good. I had installed the original FRIO a couple of times in the past, and was never thrilled with the mounting design (the four small rings on the back to secure the cooler in place aren't ideal), but the OCK mounted like a champ. This install also marked the first time in a good while where an AMD cooler install didn't make me want to throw the PC out the window.

But boy is this thing huge.

frio_ock.jpg

It does cool well though. There's a rather simple quad-core Athlon in there running at 3.1GHz, but even during a stress test it didn't inch above 34C. That's what she needs since she's in a small apartment... no need to have her PC add heat to it in the summer (she did complain about wanting to use the PC as a heater during the winter though ;-)).