Thermaltake Blue Orb II

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
There are so many CPU coolers on the market, it's very hard to choose. Some may cool well but look horrible, but not so for the Blue Orb II from Thermaltake! Let's jump into the review and see how this cooler compares to previous ones we've looked at.

If you knew what was good for ya... you'd discuss the review here!

U

Unregistered

"It is said that copper conducts heat better than aluminum yet aluminum can radiate the heat away faster."

Whoever said that would be wrong. Heat absorption and dissipation are both the same thing when it comes to thermal conductivity. Copper is better at both.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
<a href ="http://www.overclockers.com/articles223/index.asp">Copper Vs Aluminium</a> This should clear things up.

madmat

Soup Nazi
This:
Aluminum does not 'give up its heat' better than copper! Let me repeat this once more; aluminum does NOT 'give up its heat' better than copper. It is true that, in general, aluminum will radiate heat better than copper but radiation is such a miniscule part of heat transfer in a computer system as to be deemed completely inapplicable.
Is a complete oxymoron...

Aluminum doesn't give up its heat better than copper yet it radiates its heat better than copper yet it's of no consequence? What utter BS, this is why I stopped going to Overclockers.com a couple of years ago, they speak in complete riddles there.

If Al radiates heat better than Cu then yes, it is in fact "giving up its heat better" you can't have it both ways no matter how much you'd like to.

A hybrid design HSF is beneficial in that it will perform better (if properly constructed that is, IE, no air gaps between the Cu slug and the Al fins) than a pure Al 'sink yet be lighter by a large margin than a fully Cu 'sink thereby putting less strain on the board and lowering the likelyhood of it ripping away from the board do to a slight jar such as hitting a pothole in your car on the way to/from your favorite LAN party location.

U

Unregistered

madmat said:
This: Is a complete oxymoron...

Aluminum doesn't give up its heat better than copper yet it radiates its heat better than copper yet it's of no consequence? What utter BS, this is why I stopped going to Overclockers.com a couple of years ago, they speak in complete riddles there.

If Al radiates heat better than Cu then yes, it is in fact "giving up its heat better" you can't have it both ways no matter how much you'd like to.

-Copper transfers heat better via conductivity (physical contact) than Aluminum.
-Heatsinks work primarily via conductivity. (cpu contacts the heatsink, the heatsink contacts the air)
-How well a CPU heatsink "radiates" heat (ie - emits heat via light) is a nonissue due to how small the amount is.

tomato

Obliviot
Excellent and informative review! I use a Golden Orb CPU cooler at the moment and it does a great job. My only gripe is the noise of the fan as it runs at some crazy high rpms... :p

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Fortunatly with the larger fan, the blue orb II is far quieter than others that I have used. Have no doubt about it though, TT makes some killer HSF.

Thank you for the compliments!

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I've been looking at the Blue Orb for a upgreade for the Golden Orb I'm using now in my main work rig. I've used a lot of air coolers on my A64, but I've been the happiest with the Golden Orb so far, but looks like the Blue Orb would offer better quiet cooling while OC'ing my system.

Last edited:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
With a larger fan to move more air, yes, it might help out a little bit more than your current cooler. I am in love with the fact that it cools one of my DIMMs incredably well. It is a huge beast.

U

Unregistered

With a larger fan to move more air, yes, it might help out a little bit more than your current cooler. I am in love with the fact that it cools one of my DIMMs incredably well. It is a huge beast.
pretty too lol