Thecus Unboxes its Powerful N8900 8-Bay NAS Server

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Thecus knows how to make a good NAS - and I should know; I've been using (and planning to review) the N4200 for quite some time and have been more than please overall with it. The N8900 is a different beast, however. While the N4200 has a simpler feature-set perfect for the home user or small business that never plan to touch their NAS after its set up, the N8900 allows a lot of expandability, and of course, a much greater amount of storage to be used.

thecus_n8900_102511.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

marfig

No ROM battery
Absolutely gorgeous! Forget all about businesses. I'd want this baby at home, hehe.

Some personal drooling points:

- Redundant PSU (one fails, it stays online with the other)
- 3 Ethernet ports off the box, with more if we take advantage of the expansion slots.
- The i3 Sandy Bridge CPU and hdmi port taking advantage of this CPU's built-in GPU
- 8 GB RAM. I mean, c'mon! This NAS is more powerful than my current computer, lol!
- More USB 2 and USB 3 ports than I can shake a stick at.
- Pretty. Looks great outside a rack.

And an aside:

I couldn't help but notice the inclusion of Acronis True Image as Thecus backup and synchronization software solution. I find this software so good, I simply can't imagine myself doing backups with anything else. And yet our own Acronis True Image contest which gives away not 1, but 5(!) free copies, has been met with a -- very welcomed, but -- limited response.

I'm not sure folks understand the value of this package. I wish they did, because even without any external HD (as is my case currently), Acronis True Image is still an ideal solution for backing up our data. Thecus surely sees the value in this software and it doesn't surprise me they include it on a product meant to serve demanding business needs.