Thecus Releases "Zero-Crash" N4200 NAS

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Thecus has long been a provider of quality NAS boxes, some of which we've taken a look at in the past, but as far as full-featured offerings go, it's hard to compete with the N4200. It includes what Thecus calls its "6D" technology, which is based on the fact that the NAS box features a total of 6 "dual" features, from a dual-core CPU to dual displays to even dual power.

thecus_4200_030210.jpg

You can read the rest of our post here.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Does anyone aside from me REALLY want one of these things? I don't have the need for SIX bays at the moment, but the sheer thought of being able to have so much storage on hand, and in such a secure device is rather exciting. I'm sure if I saw the aggregated cost of this NAS and the hard drives, by tune would change, but meh, we can all dream!

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I do but it would be completely impractical since I'm just a simple user. I'm even thinking of downsizing what I have into a single drive since everything that I really want to keep is routinely backed up on media and on my wife's computer.

Like I said about the dual socket EVGA Board - the tech monkey in me is going nuts right now.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
When i saw the 8 bay Drobo, i was excited.... until i saw the $1800 price tag. 8 Drives under raid 6 with battery backup... it really did make me think, but it uses it's own custom raid type solution for storage, which seems to work well, but it's designed as a Desktop Area Storage, rather than a Network device (but it can be used on a network), so its throughput suffers. But for this, 6 bays is good enough, 8TB in Raid 6 (6 x 2TB drives minus 2 drives for RAID 6, if supported), all strapped onto a gigabit network (dual gigabit would be nice), i'm guessing $1200-$1400 with partial populated drive bays (4TB maybe), but i would like to be wrong and have it for less.

I really do like the idea of NAS's in general. As the amount of storage goes up, it gets harder to keep track of it, so having a single device that you can save everything to (backed up with a second - similarly configured device), it just makes things so much easier. I have 4 hard drive, 2x500GB, 1x1TB and 1x1.5TB, and i'm storing about 2.2TB worth of data on the lot. It's now getting to the point whereby i'm forgetting where i put stuff, since as one fills up, i have to move stuff over to another drive etc, i lack hardware support for raid 5 and i'm not confident in a software RAID solution. So a multi-bay NAS is looking very enticing to me. I looked at 2 bay NAS's, then thought, i'd fill that up in no time. 4 Bay, much better, can run RAID 5, gives me a single drive redundancy, but then i'm left with 3 drives of storage, so not much better than a 2 bay. 5 Bay's are a good compromise, but then as you increase the number of drives, failure starts to become more of a problem. So 6 bays with Raid 6, giving 4 drives of storage and double redundancy.... yup, that's a lot more interesting to me.

EDIT:
And my dreams have been partially shattered.... It's not a 6 bay (should have looked at the picture more closely). It's a 4 bay + 2 eSATA connections. On the up side, it has gigabit, 1GB ram, 256-bit AES encryption and hot-swap.

Last edited: