The Stop Online Piracy Act

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Gizmodo has linked to a great article over at http://thenextweb.com that lists a couple dozen or so (29) tech companies that are supporting the bill that was introduced to the United States House last month. Surprising to me were the inclusion of many companies who I have long respected for varying reasons.

It was heartbreaking to see Intel and Microsoft on the list as both have been the hopeful end goal in my return to school to finish my electrical engineering degree. Conversely, as much as I dislike Google, they are openly against the bill and were the only party allowed to speak in opposition to it on the floor of the House.

As knee jerk as it might sound, I am considering switching to AMD and Linux in my own personal boycott against these companies support for this bill.

I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts. Proceed. :)

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
They made a list of everyone who is members with BSA.

They did not make a list of companies who said they supported this particular action. They cover there butts in the article by saying "unless they publicly say they don't" and then let hate begin.

They created a troll article to enrage people. They go so far to say microsoft doesn't necessarily support this twice before adding them to this oh so official list. They go on to head Microsoft as the biggest supporter of the BSA.

So if the BSA supports this then everyone without their permission has pledged support? While most of them might this isn't an article backed with anything solid.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
They made a list of everyone who is members with BSA.

They did not make a list of companies who said they supported this particular action. They cover there butts in the article by saying "unless they publicly say they don't" and then let hate begin.

They created a troll article to enrage people. They go so far to say microsoft doesn't necessarily support this twice before adding them to this oh so official list. They go on to head Microsoft as the biggest supporter of the BSA.

So if the BSA supports this then everyone without their permission has pledged support? While most of them might this isn't an article backed with anything solid.

You're exactly right. Thank you for forcing me to reread and rethink the article. It's easy to get caught up in the moment over something like this.

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
You're exactly right. Thank you for forcing me to reread and rethink the article. It's easy to get caught up in the moment over something like this.

Its also pretty easy to overlook. That thing is written out like one of my term papers. Fill it with relevant BS and get your point across for an A+.

Microsoft has a pretty good reason to stand with the BSA, along with other companies like adobe and autodesk. Their software is pirated by everyone. I havent looked too much into the bill but I also noticed the firefox version of the google page has this link - http://www.mozilla.org/sopa/

Now it seems like the ISP's are really against it because it makes their jobs harder.

But its the individuals like us that have their own websites that are shaking right now. Your site gets blocked by mistake and you dont even noticed part of your target area cant see it for a period of time. Then you find out how hard it is to get it fixed. Scary thoughts. Not even worried about all the other problems it brings.

marfig

No ROM battery
In my opinion it's very hard, if not impossible, for SOPA to pass under the current text. While the public uproar can have its use as an eye opener of the grave offenses in that bill, it's nothing more than some ado over nothing. I trust the USA congress to not pass the bill.

However we cannot deny there is a real problem here in how the internet is structured and how legislation has been allowing for services on the internet to operate in a way that is largely irresponsible. Only on the internet we can have information channels that can transmit and publicize illegal material simply because "they are not responsible for what the users do with the service".

This model presents serious challenges to copyright laws, even more so when users do make a point of accessing, distributing and making use of illegal content through these channels. Google, for instance, makes it extremely easy to locate and download illegal software, regardless of whatever one may think of the function of a web search engine.

So this reality collides head on with business interests that try to protect themselves and with certain sectors of the society that try to pass new legislation to enforce what they feel are legitimate existing laws. On this case copyright laws.

SOPA doesn't make me angry or scared. I just look at it as social disturbance of the kind that is generated when two distinct and incompatible realities meet in history. It's a given that the traditional business models need to change in the face of the digital world, but let's be clear that the internet needs to change too, in order for businesses to remain the basic pillars of the economy. Thre whole idea of the free speech internet is old and boring already. For 2 decades we fought so that the internet became a business center of the world. We wanted internet shops, we wanted digital distribution, we wanted online services of all kinds. All for the benefit of a society largely focused on comfort and convenience. We got what we asked for. But we cannot expect that the social principles that forged the Internet of the 90s remain unchanged in the face of an Internet that is today a planet-wide marketplace. It's just not going to happen.

What we are witnessing today are the crude first attempts at coexistence. I'm confident SOPA will not pass simply because the bill is inadequate even in how it pretends to solve the problem (services and users affected would just relocate their content outside USA). But also in the fact it infringes on existing laws that protect information and individuals or businesses. But a more carefully redacted SOPA may exist in the near future and, like it or not, may be approved.

There's currently a serious imbalance between copyright laws and the means to enforce these laws. This asymmetry, and the effects it has been having on the internet, is the real reason behind these attempts. Until the conditions become more favorable, it's impossible for us to tackle what the real problem is; the current copyright laws.

Last edited:

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
Lobbyists got the House to keep french fries and pizza to count as vegetables. So anything is possible if you have enough money.