The Rig That Rob Built

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I can upload one or two later. Problem is, I didn't take any sort of pride in the wiring, so it looks like crap. I also found out another huge limitation of the motherboard I'm using, and I didn't realize it until I wanted to upgrade the GPU. The six SATA ports on the board are towards the end of the board, but are inline with the top two slots. So, with a big GPU installed, it hovers over these SATA ports, which sucks, given I have five of them in use.

Long story short, I literally had to slam the card in, and even now, some of the contacts in the slot are still showing, but that really shouldn't affect performance any. I do feel bad for the SATA connectors though, as they're having the life squashed out of em.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Get some SATA cables with 90 degree ends. They work great for that, the M2N32-SLI Deluxe has that issue and actually came with 90's on four of the cables.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Get some SATA cables with 90 degree ends. They work great for that, the M2N32-SLI Deluxe has that issue and actually came with 90's on four of the cables.

The problem there is that you can't use the 90° cables on all of the ports, because they'd block the way or plugging in another drive. Most flat cables like that aren't designed to go "backwards", so it'd be the back ports that'd get in the way. There's no way I could get around this, except to get another motherboard, which I might just do soon enough. I'm having issues in my OS where the video flickers, and I'm assuming it's because the card isn't pushed in 100%.

madmat

Soup Nazi
That sucks. The M2N has a gap between 3/4 ports and 5/6 ports specifically to give room for four 90's to be used. The ports for 1 & 2 don't get in the way and can use standard cables.