The Ridiculously Tedious HL2: Episode Two Achievement

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Half-Life 2: Episode Two has been out for close to two weeks now, so there's a good chance most players have by now finished it. But did you truly finish it? You may have noticed that Valve included a whack of achievements to unlock throughout your adventure, and one in particular is a rather large test of patience. I completely l overlooked the garden gnome at the beginning of the game, but it appears a certain PC Gamer editor did not.

The goal is simple. Carry this garden gnome with you through the entire game, making sure to set him in the rocket at the end. Essentially, this means you will be protecting and carrying him around for well over five hours of gameplay. Sure it might sound difficult, but I'm willing to bet it's a lot more tedious than difficult.
<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
halflife2_episode2_gnome_102107.jpg
</td></tr></tbody></table>
Obviously any time you know you’re going to be coming back to an area, you can set him down there and go off on your own. My tendancy to put him in areas where I knew something dramatic was going to happen cost me my gnome once or twice.

Source: James Blog

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I actually found that gnome when I first started playing but didn't think a whole lot about it and quickly launched it into the great beyond. What a great article about his experiences in doing this. Pretty funny.

MakubeX

Partition Master
The achievements system is for the PC. Notice the menu option?

Really? We now have achievements on PC? How does it work on PC? Are they saved to your Steam account so you can compare your score with other members? :confused:

PS. No, I didn't see the menu option cuz I didn't look at the rest of the pics. I don't wanna spoil anything for me as I have yet to play HL2 Episode 2. ;)