The Future Of Our TVs: 4K Resolution?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Think our HD content can't get much better than 1080p? With TV makers set to begin production of 4K models for mass consumption in the near-future, it might. Currently, almost all of the 1080p content viewed comes from either Blu-ray or select cable broadcasts, with most streaming services and cable providers preferring 720p, thanks to its lighter bandwidth requirements and cost-effectiveness.

future_televisions_080211.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

marfig

No ROM battery
Not sure what to say Rob other than being an annoyance.

I've been known to say for a while now -- perhaps unfairly -- that I'm finally "coming of age" on what concerns the so-called technological advancements. That is to say, I'm hard to impress these days, as most of what I see I tend to immediately recognize as futile, inefficient or, as you say, inconsequential fad.

There's been a general tendency to make niches look like mainstream in this business. Often pushed by a certain careless media that encourages the "more is better" line of reasoning. Helped, no doubt, by a general lack of knowledge of the readers and the companies own commercial interests.

It's for this reason we have people swearing they can play games better at 120 fps than at 80, for instance. Or people swearing over 64 bits even when the vast majority doesn't make use of half of the >=8GB RAM they are using. Etc, etc.

There's a predisposition to build myths around this area that people will defend fiercely often without realizing (or not accepting) they are under the influence of either a certain drug called consumer greed, or suffering from the ubiquitous placebo effect. The thing is there is always a niche that will be thankful (and needing) of many of these advancements, make no mistake. But we tend to think of these as necessary to us too or else we suck. What at the end of the day it comes too however is that at 1400x900 60FPS I can (have!) fragged so much many superdupers-I-own-a-god-computer, they bounce of the friggin' walls. Similarly, with a nice 16:9 4 year old Samsung TV set I have been enjoying great movies without any loss whatsoever to my entertainment lobes or my libido.

So, 4K TVs? Whatever. Let someone else spend their money as they see fit. I definitely won't give a dime for the cause of human stupidity.

EDIT: And to be sure, I'm stupid in different ways. Technology isn't just one of those. So don't think I'm trying to mount some high horse here. What however I try is to recognize my stupidity and not make excuses for it.

Last edited:

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
isn't 1920 x 1080 x 4 = 7680 x 4320?

3840 x 2160 is only 2x 1080p

Your actually looking at it in the wrong direction.

4 1980x1080P screens of the same pitch would fit in the area of a 3840x2160 screen. AKA Quad HD, that answers the 4x question. The real question is why 4K and well everyone likes to freaking round up. There are 4 K digital resolutions but tv manufacturers could care less.

As rob also shows it in resolution you can see where the resolution in pixels is quadruple the original amount. Resolutions tend to give off a misleading vibe depending on how your looking at it. 2x would be 3840x1080 as we doubled the total pixel count also the width or you could go height.

Besides im pretty sure rich people had 4k projectors back in 08, 8192 × 4320 ought to be the next step =p

Last edited:

Kayden

Tech Monkey
It would be interesting to see this but honestly I think people are burned out with them pushing the higher resolutions when cable/sat providers don't even support 1080p. When I worked at DTV that was one of the biggest complaints I heard about quick example

"What do you mean it's only 1080i on some channels and 720p on the rest unless I get on demand?!? Why do I have to have on demand for 1080p when I'm paying for the HD package?!?"

The same goes for Cable companies. I have Verizon and the only time we can see 1080p is with on demand and we have fiber to the home. This just wont happen until the infrastructure is there to support 1080p at the very least, because people want to see what they have all ready invested in be beneficial before the embrace any new updates, in my opinion.

I have heard of this before by the way, it was an announcement from Japan about 6 years ago, it was just they were working on the tech and it was supposed to be out in a few years. I guess they missed that window, also they called it Super HD at the time I read or at least something like that but it's the same thing. It didn't impress me then and I doubt this will impress when it comes out but who knows. I'll reserve judgement until I see it.

Last edited:

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
About the only place I could see much use for resolutions beyond 720p justified by need (as opposed to a lame-arsed wish to have better toys than our friends) is in security systems where 16 cameras per screen are common.

I have 1080p both on my Television (which is only used as a big computer monitor on my htpc) and my desktop... in both cases that came about because I caught a sale and actually got the higher resolution for about the same price as 720p (IIRC, the monitor was $5.00 more and the TV was actually a couple of bucks cheaper.) Otherwise I'd have been perfectly happy with 720p gear...

Back in the 80s when IBM started pushing the PC for home use there was a catch phrase floating around: "Technology looking for a home".

Now it appears to apply to all kinds of consumer gear... including televisions with pointlessly high resolution and wildly unreasonable bandwidth demands made of any equipment connected to it. Sure thing, buy that QHD TV... then you're going to have to update your HTPC, Disk Player, etc. and the financial cascade will drain your bank account in a heartbeat.

Do we need this?

Ok, make a 1920 x 1080 png or jpeg... color the whole thing medium blue and put a 1 pixel medium red dot on it someplace... now display it full screen on your 1080p TV... If you sit in your normal viewing spot... Can you actually see that one red pixel? If not, your television's capabilities already exceed your visual capacity... Updating beyond that would be a complete waste of money.