The evolution of Castlevania and FF

madstork91

The One, The Only...
%#@& U IGN

I read the final fantasy one expecting an actual recounting of the series as they did with the castlevania timeline and recap. I instead was greeted with a short, 3 page, quick review of what past FFs had in common with XII... XII isnt that great of a game. Honestly I lost interest in the storyline and havent finished it yet. (and im easily entertained) So why the hell did IGN spend ~7-9 pages on castlevania with their countless spin offs, shitty storytelling and lack of development, and only spend 3 on the FF series? A review of FFVII's materia system alone would take 2-3 pages. They didn't even mention FFT or FFTA except to relate it to XII.

Who thinks IGN was just looking for some money when they wrote this peice of $%&# review, that if only for having the name FF on it saves it from being toiletpaper worthy?

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Jen, if you wernt a girl and an artist... Id so bash you right now for that remark. ;-p

FF > Castlesuk

Jen McPherson

Resident Artist Nerd
Buwahaha >:D. You fail to detail the apparent about both games, however. Final Fantasy is a strategic turn based RPG, whereas Castlevania is an action/adventure RPG. Final Fantasy was the best in its given area, as was Castlevania, and both are very fond memories of mine. They are very, very different, so one can appreciate both games. ^^

Yet , since I played the Castlevania series first on good ol' nintendo, before any of the FF series, I'm obviously leaning in its favor. ;)

madstork91

The One, The Only...
2d: Tomba > castlesuck

3d: Bravefencer musashi. or (cant think of anything right now. honestly i havent played a 3d version.)

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Nothing anyone will say can take away the memories of playing the first Castlevania in an old arcade when I was growing up. I loved the second game and really haven't played any of them since. I did have a CV game for the Game Boy: Advance but never really played it.

Dayanth

Obliviot
Castlevania got the full course meal treatment on the series. Perhaps the article's writer had a serious love of the games? The Final Fantasy one looks more like someone did research on only the MMO and latest games of Final Fantasy.

I haven't played CV in a VERY long time. Not to mention haven't played a console in a while either (PC-slave). Though I do have a PS2 sitting here. I'll have to try one of the good-rated CV games for it someday.

MakubeX

Partition Master
Oh, man these are like my top two favorite franchises ever!

When I saw the title of this thread, for a moment there I thought I had started it and forgot about it. :p

Castlevania Symphony of the Night and Final Fantasy VIII are two games that I will always remember as two of the best games ever made!

PS. Yes, that's FF 8! Not 7! Sure, FF7 is awesome, it's my 2nd favorite FF, but to me FF8 is the King of the FFs.

"-Die Monster! You don't belong in this world!
-It was not by my hand that I was once again given flesh! I was called here by humans who wish to pay me tribute!
-Tribute!? You steal men's souls and make them your slaves!
-Perhaps the same could be said of all religions!
-Your words are as empty as your soul! Mankind ill needs a savior such as you!
-What is a man!? But a miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"

Flash back did ya? :D

Last edited:

NicePants42

Partition Master
PS. Yes, that's FF 8! Not 7! Sure, FF7 is awesome, it's my 2nd favorite FF, but to me FF8 is the King of the FFs.

8 is VIII, my friend.

You must have had a differently translated FF8 than I. The only part of that sad, POS of a story line that I recall was when Rinoa (who is supposed to be 21) goes all PMS and calls Squall a 'big meanie' and then runs off. And people are supposed to care. Oh wait, I remember one more thing - Seifer was a complete candy-ass.

The infantile infatuations and completely horrid dialogue, combined with a completely weak arch-nemesis (and an end-boss that doesn't show up until the end boss fight) made this game a chore to play.

MakubeX

Partition Master
8 is VIII, my friend.

You must have had a differently translated FF8 than I. The only part of that sad, POS of a story line that I recall was when Rinoa (who is supposed to be 21) goes all PMS and calls Squall a 'big meanie' and then runs off. And people are supposed to care. Oh wait, I remember one more thing - Seifer was a complete candy-ass.

The infantile infatuations and completely horrid dialogue, combined with a completely weak arch-nemesis (and an end-boss that doesn't show up until the end boss fight) made this game a chore to play.

LoL, didn't noticed I wrote XIII, thanks.

Not for me, I found the story very engaging. Loved the characters different personalities and they evolved through out the game. Enemies and bosses were well balanced and fun to battle.

NicePants42

Partition Master
LoL, didn't noticed I wrote XIII, thanks.

Not for me, I found the story very engaging. Loved the characters different personalities and they evolved through out the game. Enemies and bosses were well balanced and fun to battle.

I will say I didn't hate the Draw system. Drawing got tedious, but Magicite and Materia weren't tedium-free either.

Only Castlevania I've ever played was Super Castlevania IV for the SNES. Great game with an awesome soundtrack.

MakubeX

Partition Master
Only Castlevania I've ever played was Super Castlevania IV for the SNES. Great game with an awesome soundtrack.
You HAVE to play Castlevania Symphony Of The Night for the Playstation. SOTN is the pinnacle by which all other Castlevanias are measured, and none of them have been able to reach it. It's simply one of the best games ever made.