The Benefits of Multi-Display Gaming

Brett Thomas

Senior Editor
Think that gaming across three or more displays delivers little more than a larger game? Not true, as the wider the resolution, the more of the game you see. Not only can multi-display gaming increase the immersion level, but it can even give you a competitive advantage online. Yes, we have many examples to help prove our point.

You can read Rob's thoughts here and discuss the subject right here!

U

Unregistered

Sure the screen shots look nice but the real-world experience sucks. I have tried gaming with 3 monitors before and hated it, 6 would be even worse. Think I will stick to a single 30" till there is something better.

PopcornMachine

Obliviot
Thanks very much for the article. I have been going back and forth on eyefinity, and this kind of perspective on things is very helpful.

My main concerns are the expense and the bezels. Three monitors, let alone 6, are not a trivial expense. And then there's the new ATI video card too. And although bezels are getting thinner, they're still there and mostly very shiny too. That's the part I'll never understand.

Another point is the new defacto resolution of 1920x1080. It makes sense for TVs, but looks rather thin for a computer monitor. I have a 1920x1200, and new models in this size are becoming rare and more expensive.

To get a better personal comparison, I reduced the samples for Bad Company 2 to 30%.

Now I really see the difference and am excited about eyefinity again.

I then used the 5760x2160 to create a 3x1920x1200 landscape, and 3x1920x1080 protrait and 3x1920x1200 portrait.

The 3 panel portrait setups intrigue me because they're less expense and less bezels. Also, it seems with the 6 panel setups, you have the bezels right in the middle of your field of view. But now I'm thinking that the width is more important than the height. Perhaps the best solution is to use 3 2560x1600 in landscape, but that is cost prohibitive for me and almost everyone else.

So I guess I'm still not sure. I need some hands on time. Fortunately, not ready to do it now anyway.

Here's hoping that bezels become thinner (and less shiny) or even go away, they keep making 1920x1200 (or higher) panels, and make them cheaper. :D

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

Have you tried 5 1080x1920 monitors portrait mode)? I'm not sure if eyefinity can pull a configuration like that.

U

Unregistered

World of Warcraft

I wonder if you can get any benefit when playing world of warcraft; that you could detect enemies early?

madstork91

The One, The Only...
@ Above: If the view were surrounding you and not simply larger in one direction, sure.

Multiple displays are great for a large and complex workflow. I have ran a few multi-monitor setups before, and they can work well when you can set them up well. When you cant, they suck.

In gaming they simply chop up too much.

I would eventually like to see someone set up multiple projectors aligned perfect so that there is no edge breaking up the view, and have those slightly surrounding. Even from a workflow point, that would rock.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I would eventually like to see someone set up multiple projectors aligned perfect so that there is no edge breaking up the view, and have those slightly surrounding. Even from a workflow point, that would rock.

I don't think projector tech is there yet! Colors wouldn't match, brightness levels would be off, and there would be fuzziness where the two images overlapped given there isn't a sharp delineation between one image and the next.

My Uni used projectors in all the rooms, often two per room. Identical units using identical configurations side-by-side... and everything from the contrast to the colors to the brightness would differ. I'd have to make sure to sit on the side of the room with the best projector.

On the older units one would look factory new, yet the other would have that older movie projector effect with a cycling brightening/dimming light. One of them even had a bad light that died prematurely. Still another had absolutely no sharpness, text was fuzzy. We'd often get to watch professors try and fix them in the settings panels at the start of each semester... my point is you can buy two identical units, but they are never going to produce fully identical pictures.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
There is a pocket projector for under 300 now... I cant imagine this kind of thing would be too far off.