Tech Time!

Mike Delorme

Obliviot
Lets get posting!

Things you can/will see in here:

*Tutorials
*Help Sites
*answers to your questions

GoGoGoGoGoGoGo!!! YOU make the forums! Techgage wants YOU!

Last edited by a moderator:

Word.

E.M.I.
Yeah A+

Hey guys, i am going to study my A$$ off for about one week, before i go for my A+ Anyone think its a good idea to go for it early, or wait and get it later? Later as in a efw years after college.
Any Answers would be great. im kind of confused.

Thanks.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
A+ Cert is one of the easiest tests you are going to take, so take it earlier than later, for sure.

I don't mean it's 'easy', but it's far from being hard, compared to some tests you may need to take.

Will Nave

E.M.I.
Depending on what program you are going into I wouldn't worry much about even getting your A+ cert. With the current standards set up around the actual certification you are not currently required to keep your technical knowledge "up to par" with technology as it advances after you are successfully certified. So... say you are one of those lucky folks that got certified in the year 2000, YAY you got your certification but everything you were tested and obtained your certification on is pretty much legacy in 2005. What is the relevancy of such a certification if it holds no relevency to current technology? I would personally get your degree and work toward the more important certifications first and buzz through this one later if you really want. By all means take the courses over it and get the information that is important and you need to know, but think about it before you actually fork the money over for the certification testing.

BlindMonk

E.M.I.
Rob Williams said:
A+ Cert is one of the easiest tests you are going to take, so take it earlier than later, for sure.

I don't mean it's 'easy', but it's far from being hard, compared to some tests you may need to take.

That fact rather suprised me. Prior to my looking through a prep-book for the test, I had built this legacy of "A+ Cert" in my mind as some kind of holy grail for computer servicers. I'm by no means a tech junkie in which the entirety of my existence revolves around hardware and support, but in going through a prep-book for the test I was able just casually go over the first two chapters and make with a passing grade percentage. I didn't continue the studies, but it certainly wiped away the sheen of uber-specialty surrounding it.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I dont want to sound snoody but A+, in my experiences, carries little wait in the grand scheme of things. It will help you and any/all certifications look good on the ol' resume but A+ isn't a difficult test. I do not have mine but have read through many practice questions and know a few idiots who have their certs in A+. I actually asked the IT director here at my workplace where the best place was to get A+ certified and he laughed while asking why I wanted it. I told him that it was more a curiosity than anything but it basically depends on what you are wanting to get it for.

Perhaps that is the better question, what are you going to use it towards?
:techgage:

andanton

Obliviot
I would get every certification that you can. When going for a job, you never know who is going to interview you and how knowledgeable. You having the certifications while another job candidate not having them, could make the difference between getting a job and not.

ducarti

Obliviot
DarkSynergy said:
Perhaps that is the better question, what are you going to use it towards?
:techgage:

I read what andanton wrote, and he seems to make a valid point.

Why might it be a bad idea to have the certification, even if you don't need it? Does it cost a lot of money to take the test and get certified? Or does it cost nothing?