Taking a Look at the Latest Steam Hardware Survey

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
It's been quite a while since I last checked out Valve's official 'Steam Hardware & Software Survey', so given we're fresh into the second-half of the year, I decided to see where things stand. A lot has changed since last October, and as we're currently in the preparation stage of a GPU test suite overhaul, the information to be gleaned from this can prove quite useful.

steam_070711.jpg

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

marfig

No ROM battery
Nice. Thanks Tharic.

Some of the trends are hopeful.

DirectX 9 keeps dropping and having the highest drop percentage. One should hope it eventually phases out and makes life easier to developers.

Similarly it's nice to see Windows XP drop (and also consistently being the biggest drop). Despite having been probably the best OS from Microsoft since the DOS era of 4.01 and 6.2 (along with Windows 3.1), It's important for developers we do not stretch out support for more than 2 platforms. It becomes increasingly harder to develop software otherwise.

The 64 bit adoption is still lagging a bit behind. Collectively it represents on the Windows system, only ~57%. This doesn't favor AAA titles being exclusively written for x64; the only way they can take full advantage of the extra memory address space and features of 64 bit computing. The introduction of DX 11 may help speed up x64 adoption, or so I hope. Tessellation is an invitation for bigger assets. And those will be more demanding on RAM. And memory has been the adoption factor of many x64 systems, despite being the least important. So, let's hope that current 1.77% monthly growth... grows. (**)

And some others are not.

I'm displeased with the current state of affairs between AMD and its rivals on both the CPU and GPU arena. I sometimes wonder if it wouldn't be best for AMD to just break up into two separate companies that could go each their own way and fully specialize on their offerings. The thing is there doesn't seem to be any hope of AMD to come close to and put strong pressure on its competitors. This is probably why we see Nvidia launching cards more expensive, only to launch the same, but slight modified model (with virtually no impact in performance whatsoever), a couple of months later for much less. I'm speaking of the 560 Ti and 560 versions of the GTX, for instance. It can afford to do this, hurting consumers, because AMD offers little concerns. And on the CPU market... what a disaster!...

(**) I actually haven't moved to 64bit computing myself yet. My current system fully supports it and all I would require was to save some 100 EUR to come up with an extra 4Gb memory to justify the installation of Windows 7 64bit (doesn't make sense to me to have a 4Gb or 6Gb 64 bit system). That transition should actually occur within the year.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
DX9 support is slowly dying. I know that Battlefield 3 won't support XP for that very reason so there will likely be a few people making the switch and I can see more and more developers following suit.

Kayden

Tech Monkey
Only reason DX9 has stuck around for as long was for 2 reasons 1: DX10 sucked! It made many promises and delivered on very few and 2: Consoles, porting to the PC with just DX9 was cheap and easy. It's nice that DX11 has captured the attention of so many dev's including console exclusive ones, DX11 is what DX10 should have been if it was the PC would be in a much better gaming position right now imo. Also keeping DX10 exclusive to Vista at the time didn't help either, but with Windows 7 it has helped close that gap significantly.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I wouldn't say 64bit OS adoption is lagging. :) Only one in five people that get Seven use 32bit, that's pretty good, decisive figures in my opinion. Even more oddly, Windows Vista 64bit adoption is only within ~1% of 32bit users. A year after Vista came out the numbers were closer toward 3 out of 4 using 32bit systems, which has clearly swung back around now. Not sure whether to be amused or horrified people still "upgrade" XP to XP 64bit though...

Marfig, I am particularly intrigued by your thoughts on AMD... while the CPU design team hasn't had a resurgence, splitting the company isn't going to make a difference there. Graphics is the only thing keeping AMD supplied with enough revenue for R&D and is its only advantage against Intel. Especially since Intel fired the first salvo with Sandy Bridge, history is pretty well locked on course for CPU+GPU or APU chips, whatever ya wish to call them. But I think the end result a few years down the line when we have a true APU will be well worth it!

As for AMD firing back against the 560 Ti, they've priced their cards accordingly. It really comes down to what games the buyer plans to use or any personal preference than raw performance for the upper mid-range, I feel. It'd cost AMD money to tailor make and launch a card in response, and all we'd end up with is graphics card soup. I really didn't care for the old days when every new GPU that became a hit induced a new competing SKU, which in turn only led to an overclocked version of the original getting launched... only enthusiasts had a clue which one was worth buying because all three or four versions would be on the market in addition to the rest of the product lineups. Or the reverse, some of the SKUs would be impossible to find on shelves because they were so cherry-picked that only a few could be produced from every fresh batch of silicon.

As far as not going 64bit goes... 6GB is plenty for 64bit in my opinion. At least with that amount nobody should notice a significant difference if they already use Windows 7 and simply switch to 64bit. 6GB is really still overkill for most usage types.

Although some of the earlier drivers and programs weren't optimized and were quick 32bit ports, 64bit versions of most programs shouldn't have an appreciable difference now at all. Given your specific motherboard/socket type, 8GB kits would be the only viable option. I've seen deals on them that matched or beat the price of 6GB kits of late, though...

Last edited:

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
On the AMD thing.... lol whut? AMD is massively outselling Nvidia. Nvidia is better for folding and? AMD cards are excellent for password cracking, bitcoin mining, pretty much all other distributed computing. Oh and price. Pretty much every AMD GPU is cheaper than its Nvidia counterpart.

TBH with the GPUs, I feel Nvidia is just selling too many models, you have:
GTX 590
GTX 580 3gb
GTX 580 1.5gb
GTX 570 2.5gb
GTX 570 1.28gb
GTX 560 TI 2gb
GTX 560 TI 1gb
GTX 560 2gb
GTX 560 1gb
GTX 550 TI
GTX 545 GDDR5
GTX 545 GDDR3 3gb
GTX 545 GDDR3 1.5gb
GTX 530 2gb
GTX 530 1gb
GTX 520 2gb
and finally the
GTX 520 1gb.

That is 17 different cards!

AMD has nearly as many options with a total of 16 variants but few people would think about buying a card with 512mb of vram so that drops it from 16 to 13 but then again with the 2gb versions that were not released after the 1gbs who would buy them? yet again only a few people so that makes 11. But that's my opinion.

Nvidia seems to be doing everything it can to cost people more. I mean really, a 3gb version that could have and should have probably been the original version? Oh and the 590, the worst dual GPU card I have EVER seen, blows on mild OC and may blow on stock if OCP doesn't kick in due to driver issues.

I have no clue what your saying about the CPUs...... They can't price them higher because Intel CPUs beat them performance wise and tbh who cares? An i7 2600k @ 4.8ghz OR a 955BE at 3.8-4ghz? Gaming: little difference, OS: NO difference, typical average joe tasks: NO difference. That is why originally I went with an AMD and the 2600k for folding.

marfig

No ROM battery
On the AMD thing.... lol whut? AMD is massively outselling Nvidia.

Is it? And massively?
Last time it managed to do that, if I recall was on a single quarter last year. And it was far from "massively". It was something like 7% if memory serves me right.

But even assuming they did outsell Nvidia, those sales aren't translating into usage figures everywhere. Unless folks buy AMD cards to do something else other than putting them inside their computers, those cards must be vanishing somehow. Because when it comes to usage figures Nvidia shows always ahead.

Nvidia is better for folding and? AMD cards are excellent for password cracking, bitcoin mining, pretty much all other distributed computing.

Better or worst has nothing to do with it. And I think you are exaggerating. If Nvidia cards are so bad, why are they used to play modern games?

Oh and price. Pretty much every AMD GPU is cheaper than its Nvidia counterpart.

Which is something that is more worrying than comforting. Because means AMD has to sell more and means AMD, because it isn't selling more, is probably making less money than Nvidia.

TBH with the GPUs, I feel Nvidia is just selling too many models, you have:

Why I think AMD still has a hold on the GPU market. Because despite all, it still clearly is putting some (although not as much as I would desire) pressure on its competition.

I have no clue what your saying about the CPUs...... They can't price them higher because Intel CPUs beat them performance wise and tbh who cares? An i7 2600k @ 4.8ghz OR a 955BE at 3.8-4ghz? Gaming: little difference, OS: NO difference, typical average joe tasks: NO difference. That is why originally I went with an AMD and the 2600k for folding.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you have no clue about what I'm saying. You deny AMD cpu line has all but entirely evaporated from Intel's line of sight? I mean, these two companies aren't even playing the same game anymore...

Marfig, I am particularly intrigued by your thoughts on AMD... while the CPU design team hasn't had a resurgence, splitting the company isn't going to make a difference there. Graphics is the only thing keeping AMD supplied with enough revenue for R&D and is its only advantage against Intel. Especially since Intel fired the first salvo with Sandy Bridge, history is pretty well locked on course for CPU+GPU or APU chips, whatever ya wish to call them. But I think the end result a few years down the line when we have a true APU will be well worth it!

I don't actually have a well formulated opinion of AMD... yet :)

But it bothers me the company isn't becoming more competitive. Only less. Despite what the the AMD fanbase may want to say about their cards (or CPUs), the fact is that on the gaming market things aren't looking good in terms of comparative sales, with Nvidia on one end and Intel on the other producing much better results.

I'd say AMD GPUs are as good as NVidia, with some models on the same price range being sometimes better. Others... not really. However, somehow the company can still not capture sales from Nvidia. One model or another reveals itself as a success, but overall the company always ends up lacking (despite Tom's Hwardare best efforts to always place AMD cards as better than Nvidia's :p ). I sometimes suspect the drivers team is partly responsible, because that's my only complaint when I owned AMD cards. I'd however liked if this company got its act together and put some more real pressure against Nvidia. I cannot ask the same against Intel, because I think that battle is just lost.

I'd welcome the news if the company split. I'd even suspect the stock market would too, :)
I seem to remember some recent news on AMD wanting to go ARM... is this correct? If so, the split would make even more sense to me. It's obvious the x86 platform is a lost cause to AMD. Still, production costs are the same for AMD than they are for Intel's. There's no magic formula here. Keeping it this way (assuming this ARM thing is not correct), I don't know how much longer before AMD's CPU division starts borrowing money from the GPU earnings. And GPUs are the one area this company can still compete.

As for APUs... I'm not so optimistic. Admittedly, I have little knowledge on the technology. But I can't see it respond to the rapid progress and ever increasing demands of 3D processing.

As for AMD firing back against the 560 Ti, they've priced their cards accordingly.

My comment on the 560 Ti was solely a criticism on Nvidia's release strategy. Not on AMD competitive products. Nvidia has becoming less and less aggressive in their price range and more abusive in their release strategies. Exactly because AMD isn't taking a piece of Nvidia's slice. On the contrary. It's been loosing it.

But, if by placing their products with the right prices, AMD still looses to Nvidia, they need to work it out. What I honestly fear is a loss of competitiveness in the market. It's bad enough that we are stuck to just two manufacturers.

As far as not going 64bit goes... 6GB is plenty for 64bit in my opinion. At least with that amount nobody should notice a significant difference if they already use Windows 7 and simply switch to 64bit. 6GB is really still overkill for most usage types.

Oh, absolutely! I was speaking just of my specific requirements. 6GB with 64bit versions of the software I use (including SQL Server, MySQL, IIS, VMWare, etc...) would just mean I hadn't evolved much from the 3.6 Gb I have now on 32bit. I'd rather justify the move to 64bit with an effective increase in free ram. Which I do plan for still this year :)

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
I never said either one was better or worse for gaming, personally they are equal as long as you dont match cards up that were never intended to be matched up. Also AFAIK, Steam hardware survey is just that steam hardware. Like I said AMD is much much better for bitcoin mining and pretty much all other type of distributed computing (F@H not included). That is where a sizable chunk of the missing cards are and I know a few people who have more of budget rigs and don't use steam and mainly play online games.

Well part of it is that Nvidia fans (I mean those who only see Nvidia when purchasing) seem to be.... more aggressive (fanboy wise) and spend happy than their AMD counterpart. Part of that is AMD GPUs are more aimed for being buget friendly so they release a 2gb and a 1gb version of the card at the same time unlike Nvidia who seems to be very money hungry for the fact that they only released a 1.5gb 580 at first when they should have put the 3gb out first or both versions at the same time. In this way Nvidia makes a lot more, since they can sell 2 cards to a person who only wants one, basically tell people 1.5gb is great then release a new model with more ram just to cash in on the people who will upgrade.

I agree on the CPUs but in most things it does not matter at all. Now the good thing is bulldozer seems poised to change that, Intel seems to actually be afraid that AMD's bulldozer may beat down its current line of CPUs especially since I am seeing that an ES chip is hitting 5.2ghz on air. (The 2600k can do that if you get a good chip but if that's an ES then the final chip could go even further.

Don't get me started on drivers. I have had problems with both AMD drivers and Nvidia, I feel its time for Nvivdia to stop advertising GTX 200 series and older support on its newer drivers because they don't work at all for any card that are not 4xx or 5xx series cards. A lot of the AMD problems seemed easier to fix or work around, how can I work around a driver being so frighteningly broken that I can't run my monitor from my other DVI port or the Nvidia control panel wont launch (on the last one that installs right) and then not only have the same problem with later revisions but as well sometimes the driver just fails and when it does install it wont even run windows aero. They need to either drop the so called comparability for 2xx series and older on the new drivers or go start over on the drivers and (excuse me here) clean it the fuck up.

TBH I cant stand to see people running 4gb of ram.... on 32 bit I mean come on your not getting your full ram out of it! Its like paying for premium tires for your car that are rated for 105 mph but you never even go above 85, why bother getting it then? Anyways, no complaints on my ram here, 16gb on my desktop 6gb on my laptop (soon to be 8gb hopefully. I want to get the 1600mhz Kingston PNP kit).

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Following research is based on AIBs - That's discrete cards to you and me... AMD 40% market share, NVIDIA 60% share. From a year on year perspective, NV is down 8.4% and AMD is up 16.8%. For a break down on the actual numbers, you'd have to cough up some $995 - which i don't think any of us have :p. Just remember... this is units sold, not profit.

There are no individual unit sales given, just a total of 19 million in one quarter. So guessing the ratio of unit/profit for each would be difficult.

When you throw mobile chips into the equation, then NV is having a hard time due to Intel's Sandy Bridge and now AMD's Llano. (NV had a share price dip when it announced a 45% month on month drop in mobile unit sales in China a few months ago due to Intel.)

marfig

No ROM battery
TBH I cant stand to see people running 4gb of ram.... on 32 bit I mean come on your not getting your full ram out of it! Its like paying for premium tires for your car that are rated for 105 mph but you never even go above 85, why bother getting it then?

Because 4GB is a common dual channel configuration, but not good enough for 64 bit. I take more juice from a 4Gb system in 32 bit mode (even knowing I'm not using it all), than if it was 64 bit where I definitely would run into memory problems. Once memory gets upgraded, there's no reason to stay on 32 bit.

Buying less than 4Gb is on the other hand, not very smart for 32 bit systems, since inevitably the idea is to upgrade to 64 bit. So a nice 4 Gb configuration under 32 bit that allows for expansion in the near future and doesn't mean removing any of the available memory seemed to me a viable move at the time. Still does.

Similarly, many pre-configured system are sold today in a 4Gb configuration and comes with 64 bit operating system. Depending on the use one makes of the computer, this means for some of us there is no way that is good enough for 64 bit, and many users install the 32 bit version instead. So you do get to see a lot of 32 bit systems with 4 Gb. It wasn't my case since I configured my own. But the extra 4 GB memory wasn't simply an option at the time because my budget didn't allow. So I planned for the future, got myself 4GB and installed the 32 bit version of my OS. Fantastic setup, if you ask me. My machine does all I ask it to do.

Note that I'm not speaking of programs like web browsers, games or word processing. If you are required to install 64 bit versions of server software in your system, and other resource intensive software like IDEs and Virtual Machines, those 4GB of ram have two completely different meanings whether you are under 32 bit or 64 bit systems.

@Tharic-Nar
I'll have to take that at face value and assume that is indeed the case; i.e. AMD is winning market over Nvidia by selling more. Which means I am invariably wrong.

It doesn't fit into my model of how the world really is from simple observation (supported by usage patterns you can sometimes see published here and there). But so didn't quantum mechanics fit into my observable world.

Last edited: