Tagan TG1100-U95 1100W Power Supply

madmat

Soup Nazi
Thank you very much.

When would I need a higher than 900W PSU then?

I was looking at the the PSU calculator here http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp and total power required for my rig is between 892 W and 905 W. Isn't that too close?

BTW, I tried registering, but for some reason, never got the confirmation email. Thanks again for your help.

rrpalma

When would you need a KW or higher PSU? Um, dual quad core CPU's, dual 8800GTX's in SLI and more hard drives than one man can lift alone.

Other than 10 HDD's and the aforementioned 8 core setup with 8800GTX's in SLI you won't need anything over 900W. Actually, you don't need that much but it's tough to find a realistic PSU that has four PCI-e's on them.

U

Unregistered

Thanks to everyone for their comments. I really appreciate your helping me out.

Rob / Jack / madmat: Would your recommendations change if those 2 Opterons were the 2220s now, and were to be changed to the quadcores when they are released in the near future (supposedly they will eat up less or equivalent power than the dual cores)? How about if the memory goes from 4 GB to 8 GB and the number of HDs goes from 8 to 10?

Thanks for putting up with my paranoia... I know I need Prozac (or Valium, in my case?)

Off-topic: How can I finish my registration process?

Thanks *A LOT*

RRPalma

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Quad-Cores will likely hog around 130W a piece, while the 8800GTX will take around 200W. So... that's 460W alone... add in around 160W for 8 hard drives and that still only makes 620W. Add in the other small random components, an 800W still should be plenty of power.

I don't think the amount of memory you have will effect the power consumption at all... though I could be wrong. It would be very minimal though.

What's wrong with the registration process? You should receive a confirmation e-mail. But let me know if you don't. Welcome to the forums :)

U

Unregistered

Thanks Rob.

Quad-Cores will likely hog around 130W a piece, while the 8800GTX will take around 200W. So... that's 460W alone... add in around 160W for 8 hard drives and that still only makes 620W. Add in the other small random components, an 800W still should be plenty of power.

Is that 200 W per each 8800GTX? If so, then it would be 660W if I go SLI, just for the CPUs and GPUs, right? So I have 240 W left for drives and the other base components, correct?

What's wrong with the registration process? You should receive a confirmation e-mail. But let me know if you don't. Welcome to the forums :)

Thanks! I never got the confirmation email after registering. I did get an email when I "forgot" my password on purpose, allowing me to reset it. Perhaps my spam filter didn't let the 1st email go through. Should I try registering with another name?

Thanks *A LOT* again.

RRPalma

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Is that 200 W per each 8800GTX? If so, then it would be 660W if I go SLI, just for the CPUs and GPUs, right? So I have 240 W left for drives and the other base components, correct?

Yup, pretty much. But, if you want dual 8800GTX's, you will want one that has 4 PCI-E connectors, instead of the usual two, since each 8800GTX requires two by itself.

900W should handle that no problem at all.

I changed it so you are now registered... though I'm unsure why you didn't receive a confirmation e-mail.

rrpalma

Obliviot
Yup, pretty much. But, if you want dual 8800GTX's, you will want one that has 4 PCI-E connectors, instead of the usual two, since each 8800GTX requires two by itself.

Yes, the Tagan has 4.

900W should handle that no problem at all.
Thanks for clearing it up

I changed it so you are now registered... though I'm unsure why you didn't receive a confirmation e-mail.
Great. This is my first "official" post.

Thanks again for your comments.

RRPalma

madmat

Soup Nazi

I don't think the amount of memory you have will effect the power consumption at all... though I could be wrong. It would be very minimal though.

Sorry Rob but the 8800GTX uses around 145W each, not 200W.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Funny, but testing by independent sites has shown that it uses a little more than 20W over the 7950GX2 which is a 125W card. That's on DX9 and I haven't seen if DX10 will change that but as there are no DX10 games as of now it's a "wait and see" sort of thing.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Read it here...

The XTX and the GX2 both use about the same wattage and that's 125W. Do the math yourself.

Hostile much? :D

I don't recall who it was that told me this.. it could have been Tagan actually. I need to get a Kill-A-Watt and start testing these theories myself.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Hostile? Why on earth do you think that? I'm just saying that if you do the math for yourself you'll see that it's nowhere near the 200W all the alarmists are stating.

I think the PSU MFG's are in the dark as to the real wattage consumed by the G80's since nVidia isn't very forthcoming in regards to actual consumption. Even Jon has said that he couldn't get a straight answer out of their reps in his official capacity at Ultra regarding what the cards really use.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I think the PSU MFG's are in the dark as to the real wattage consumed by the G80's since nVidia isn't very forthcoming in regards to actual consumption.

That, or claiming higher wattages will sell their more expensive PSUs ;-)