System Mechanic and Windows Vista

kamel

Obliviot
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I hope I'll find a solution to my problem. I'm having an issue with System Mechanic and Windows Vista. System Mechanic is a great program, but it is not compatible with Windows Vista. Every time I perform a full scan with System Mechanic 7.1.7 (latest update), it gets until 18% of the scan and it stops and I get a error message. I called iolo customer care (it takes them forever to answer calls, sometimes 1 hour, but thanks I have digital phone with comcast and my calls are free). I already sent them a system snapshot and screen shot of the error, but still nothing's done yet. Anyone experience thisr problem?

I appreciate any help
My best regards.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hi kamel,

Personally, I would -not- run SysMech with Windows Vista. That program is buggy enough with Windows XP. The reason is stalls is likely because it simply hasn't been updated to work with Vista. If iolo replies to your e-mail, they will probably tell you the same thing.

I wouldn't worry about running it... at least until they release a new Vista-capable version. There are too many things that could go wrong with the version you are running now.

MacMan

Partition Master
Vista... Been there, done that!

As a mostly Mac user, regarding Vista, all I can say is, "Been there, Done that!" I have been using Vista a year before LongHorn was ever annouced, it was called Mac OSX.

Mind you, the early version known by the code name 'Cheetah' performed more like it should have been called 'Turtle,' but it was basically all that Vista is now except it was even slower than Vista is now.

Today, OSX Tiger goes beyond Vista and I mean way beyond and will soon be replaced by the only OS that Intel ever optimized for any CPU... LEOPARD! This is the OS that I read, by several experts in the high-tech world, will utterly embarass and put Vista to UTTER shame! You just watch and see.

I can't wait!

In fact, not only Vista, but Beryl and XGL are all inspired by OSX. This beautiful OS is the first OS to feature an aninmated desktop with all the cool eye candy. But in OSX the eye candy is minimum and serves to increase the funtionality of the OS.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Vista, how could I? Its an inferior copy of OSX, but it still is a copy. I prefer OSX by a long shot and second Linux, a close cousin of OSX. I will, at least, say that Vista is pretty.

People like to poo-poo Apple, but think about it..... Apple is now a 82-billion dollar giant corporation.... almost 30 billion dollars bigger than Dell. A large part of that is due to OSX.

Vista is ok, but Microsoft was yesterday's news; OSX and Linux is the future.

madmat

Soup Nazi
This is way OT. What does your love of OSX have to do with Vista and Sys Mech not playing nice together?

I'm just curious because this post would be better served in a thread about how much we really dislike Vista rather than in a thread about how useless Sys Mech has become ;)

As a mostly Mac user, regarding Vista, all I can say is, "Been there, Done that!" I have been using Vista a year before LongHorn was ever annouced, it was called Mac OSX.

Mind you, the early version known by the code name 'Cheetah' performed more like it should have been called 'Turtle,' but it was basically all that Vista is now except it was even slower than Vista is now.

Today, OSX Tiger goes beyond Vista and I mean way beyond and will soon be replaced by the only OS that Intel ever optimized for any CPU... LEOPARD! This is the OS that I read, by several experts in the high-tech world, will utterly embarass and put Vista to UTTER shame! You just watch and see.

I can't wait!

In fact, not only Vista, but Beryl and XGL are all inspired by OSX. This beautiful OS is the first OS to feature an aninmated desktop with all the cool eye candy. But in OSX the eye candy is minimum and serves to increase the funtionality of the OS.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Vista, how could I? Its an inferior copy of OSX, but it still is a copy. I prefer OSX by a long shot and second Linux, a close cousin of OSX. I will, at least, say that Vista is pretty.

People like to poo-poo Apple, but think about it..... Apple is now a 82-billion dollar giant corporation.... almost 30 billion dollars bigger than Dell. A large part of that is due to OSX.

Vista is ok, but Microsoft was yesterday's news; OSX and Linux is the future.

MacMan

Partition Master
Sorry, I meant to post it on another part of forum!

Sorry, I meant to post this on another part of the forum but I was having trouble posting it. Not sure why, but I tried it here and it worked! I didn't think it would, but it did.

Why did it not work any where else, I really don't know? I'm new to this forum type thingy! Was it with Techgage's forum; was it my software, or more likely, my stupidity.

i go with the later.

This is way OT. What does your love of OSX have to do with Vista and Sys Mech not playing nice together?

I'm just curious because this post would be better served in a thread about how much we really dislike Vista rather than in a thread about how useless Sys Mech has become ;)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It was definitely you :p

No, it could have been the forums, I'm unsure. If you run into problems or an error, just let me know.