SuSE Linux 10.1

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If you are intrigued by the Linux world, there is no better time than now to get in on the action. There has never been so much support, or a wide variety of distros to choose from. One of the most popular distros in recent years have been SuSE, due to it's ease of use.

Read the review here and chat about it here!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
XGL

I didn't touch on XGL here because I am waiting to include more of a look in an upcoming article. Here are some quick screenshots of it action though.

Attachments

• xgl_suse101_1.jpg
    xgl_suse101_1.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 806
  • xgl_suse101_2.jpg
    xgl_suse101_2.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 912
  • xgl_suse101_3.jpg
    xgl_suse101_3.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 886
  • xgl_suse101_4.jpg
    xgl_suse101_4.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 849
  • xgl_suse101_5.jpg
    xgl_suse101_5.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 921
  • xgl_suse101_6.jpg
    xgl_suse101_6.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 871

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's just too bad it's difficult to get it running under a different distro. SuSE was extremely easy, but others will give a rough time.

U

Unregistered

Suse 10.1

I was (and still am) a 10.0 user
I tried 10.1 on the same PC and got only instability issues. I followed the info found on Distrowatch to have YAST uploading all the latest programs, corrections,,,.. but still not as stable as 10.0

So I reverted to 10.0 and will be waiting for 10.2 or whatever stable version will come out from Novell
IMHO 10.1 is a transition version which should have stayed in Novell's drawers

John

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I've had a few people e-mail me explaining similar issues also. Not one person has said they've had zero problem.

In a sec, I am glad I wasn't alone =)

aussiebear

Obliviot
Yeah, the problem with updating in regards to 10.1 was because, during Beta releases, the SUSE Developers decided to incoporate a new updating solution which combines the benefits of two older solutions. Unfortunately, this new solution has caused nothing but utter trouble for all. I suggest you search the web to acquire updates via alternative means. (They won't kill your SUSE install, but its much better than the default one!). Looking back, they (Devs of SUSE), shouldn't have changed anything major like this, when 10.1 was in Beta. They should have added the new update app in 10.2 Alpha. Now 10.1 has a tarnished reputation because they put something in, at the last minute. :mad:

In your article you mentioned as to why they don't have Nvidia drivers there by default...I'm curious too. This is a commercial solution, and I would've expected it to be bundled. Then again, the GPL license (assuming that's what its under) seems to be incompatible to the Nvidia driver. (Although its debatable, as no one has offered any straight answer about this. When you ask Nvidia, they don't seem to mind, as their license allows for it).

In regards to Xgl/Compiz, I find it as an experimental toy, at best (its Novell's answer to counter Windows Vista's Aero eyecandy). Its not for production use, as you will realise it starts to cause issues with some OpenGL and video playback apps. Fedora folks didn't like this approach, as it was developed behind closed doors at Novell (but released as GPL), so they decided to do their own, called AIGLX. Apparently, Nvidia likes Fedora's approach and they have indicated to better support that in the future. (Currently, there's very limited support for AIGLX). Both technologies are pretty much testbeds for a future unified solution called xeglx (or something like that).

For my typical Linux desktop, I get VMware Server (its free) and install Win2k as a guest OS. That way, I can do anything I want (except for 3D accelerated games), without worrying about re-installing an entire system. You can roll-back a damaged or infected virtual Windows install in minutes! :D

This is a screenshot of OpenSUSE 10.1 with VMware Server Release Candidate 1 (Ver 1.0 has recently been released about a day ago), running Win2k Pro SP4, playing the 10yr old game, Command and Conquer: Red Alert! :)

VMWare_RedAlert_800x600.jpg

Remember, Red Alert is primarily a 2D accelerated game. It calls for DirectDraw (part of DirectX7). The VMware tools does NOT offer 3D acceleration (its extremely limited at best), due to the complexities of mapping a virtual video card memory to a REAL one. (no virtualisation app currently offers 3D Acceleration...But its a future goal to achieve).

So yes, I use OpenSUSE 10.1, but as a stable basis for Windows to sit on. (as well as learning to write programs and such). If you want to do the same with VMware, I suggest you get lots of RAM. (1GB minimum, as 512MB is really pushing it)...Typically, the more the merrier. :)

If you want to give VMware Server (free) a shot, I've created a reasonably useful guide on how to install it in OpenSUSE 10.1 (as well as how to get Red Alert going without trouble). :)
=> http://forums.techwatch.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=5118

I just love virtualization! :D

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
aussiebear said:
Yeah, the problem with updating in regards to 10.1 was because, during Beta releases, the SUSE Developers decided to incoporate a new updating solution which combines the benefits of two older solutions.

Good point. I was unaware of this, but it makes sense as to why there are problems not found in the older version.

aussiebear said:
This is a commercial solution, and I would've expected it to be bundled.

Haha, yeah. Even if you have an older NVIDIA card, you are still obviously going to want to use the proper driver. The main issue here to me, is that SuSE is developed with 'noobies' in mind. Yes, for the experienced user, installing an NVIDIA driver is a walk in the park, but for a complete noobie, they will have to do a fair amount of reading. Not that I am against that, but this -is- a 'jump in and go' type of distro.

I agree with you on the XGL stuff also. Personally, I would not use any of it's 'features', simply because I have not once ever used a 2nd desktop to begin with. Everything else is simply eye candy.

Regarding your VM Server.. would that game not run through Wine without the need for VM? I am unsure as I haven't tried it, but it -is- a 10 year old game. I guess it would be easier to seperately install Windows that way though..

When I get some time though, I will give VM Server a run, especially since it's free now. Thanks for the informative post :D

P

Polax

Dual Display Problem with SuSE 10.1

I am most comfortable with SuSE (openSuSE Distro) make no mistakes. Have been using SuSE since 8.2 and it is really one of the more polished distros that are going around.

These are the main gripes i have with the OS.

a) i have an NVidia AGP Card and a Cirrus Logic (fairly common though old VGA PCI Card) card - the older versions of Suse used to detect and set it up without a hitch - the latest one just crashes ... while probing the card. Still haven't figured that out.

b) We probably need a BLOG/Forum for common people to overcome the things SuSE has crippled to avoid frivolous lawsuits - i mean the MP3, DVD playback ... NVIDIA drivers etc...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
We probably need a BLOG/Forum for common people to overcome the things SuSE has crippled to avoid frivolous lawsuits - i mean the MP3, DVD playback ... NVIDIA drivers etc...

Yeah... it really does seem like it's going downhill and I can't say I am enjoying it. I -loved- SuSE 7 when it first came out, and up to 9.3, it was a great distro. Don't get me wrong, even 9.3 had a lot of problems but nothing to the extent that 10.0/10.1 does.

I even installed SUSE Enterprise 10 on my desktop last week... and the internet or 3D acceleration won't work no matter what I do. It's strange... SuSE problems follow me everywhere.