Suggestions? Best software for Running Slow

EGPnBlueBell

Obliviot
Getting confused by all the registry mechanics, spywares etc.

I have a antivirus software (Symantec) have (Spyware Doctor).
Like Spyware Doctor but based on task manager suspect it's one of my slowdown problems when I am starting up. Outlook sometimes takes forever.

Looking for a good tuning software that will look at the start up menu, system settings, registry etc. Really want the system to run like it did when first installed (or as close as reasonably possible.

Suggestions?:

werty316

Partition Master
Get rid of all the programs and use them when you need to. Don't have all of them running in the background. Else get Tweaknow which is what I use.

ducarti

Obliviot
Do NOT use Symantec for anti-virus. If you are looking for slowdown problems that is the #1 slowdown problem. Symantec adds dozens of unnecessary applications to the registry, that slows down the computer, the software it adds are anti-piracy related and does you absolutely no good and makes Symantec one of the worst anti-virus programs on the planet. I'm not against anti-piracy, but when a company installs software to your computer WITHOUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE and this software slows down your computer to a crawl then you shouldn't have anything to do with that company. Symantec use to be a good company, but that is no longer true.

SqueekyClean

Obliviot
ducarti said:
I'm not against anti-piracy, but when a company installs software to your computer WITHOUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE and this software slows down your computer to a crawl then you shouldn't have anything to do with that company.

What programs are you talking about that they install?

SqueekyClean

werty316

Partition Master
Yeah what are you talking about? If its a good program it shouldn't have spyware but if it does it would give you the option to not have it installed. Do you just install everything in a program without reading everything?

Cool Barn

Obliviot
Are you after freeware or are you happy to spend some money? If you're after freeware to speed up your system I'd recommend TuneXP, for a basic program it does quite nicely. To clean up your system of unnecessary files including broken registry entries try EasyCleaner by Toniarts. Lastly to configure your system's appearance have a play with TweakUI.

On the other hand if you want to spend some money then I think programs like X-Setup Pro and TuneUp Utilities 2006 are well worth looking at.

Lastly Ducarti you should call it "Nortons" rather than "Symantec", as the Symantec Corporate Antivirus programs still run quite decently. As for Nortons Antivirus, or Nortons System Works, or Nortons Internet Security on the other hand... :eek:

Last edited:

ducarti

Obliviot
I got two questions about my post to this thread. I may as well answer them both in one post.

Cool Barn said:
Lastly Ducarti you should call it "Nortons" rather than "Symantec", as the Symantec Corporate Antivirus programs still run quite decently. As for Nortons Antivirus, or Nortons System Works, or Nortons Internet Security on the other hand...

I called it Symantec because that is what the person who started this thread and who was asking for help called it. He referred to it as antivirus (symantec). I'm assuming that he is using Norton Antivirus since he acted like a homeuser, and all my comments were about Symantec's Norton Antivirus.

werty316 said:
Yeah what are you talking about? If its a good program it shouldn't have spyware but if it does it would give you the option to not have it installed. Do you just install everything in a program without reading everything?

Symantec Norton Antivirus adds a lot of license management software that basically has only one purpose which is anti-piracy. You might have a half dozen programs installed, each one taking up memory and resources, and all half dozen are only there for Symantec's anti-piracy protection. Because Symantec Norton Antivirus can be installed (and usually is) to run all the time, those license programs are continously running all the time and taking up memory, resources and slowing your computer down.

fullpicture

Obliviot
A lot of people complain about Norton Antivirus, but I been using it apparently glitch-free..... No crashes or lockups or problems here.

izzie

Obliviot
Same here, I use it without any issues. And I'm happy because Norton Antivirus has a lot of virus updates. Almost every two days, I download new virus lists for Norton Antivirus. It keeps up to date and kills the latest viruses.