Striping RAID 0 problem...

AJL14

Obliviot
Good morning,
You had an excellant article on the Highpoint RocketRAID 2310 controller. I have been using it for yers. I am now striping 2 new Hard Drives in RAID 0 - 2 Seagate 1TB drives - and they have been striping for 24 hours. How long does striping 2 1TB drives usually take? Many thanks!:
Alan

Brett Thomas

Senior Editor
Good morning,
You had an excellant article on the Highpoint RocketRAID 2310 controller. I have been using it for yers. I am now striping 2 new Hard Drives in RAID 0 - 2 Seagate 1TB drives - and they have been striping for 24 hours. How long does striping 2 1TB drives usually take? Many thanks!:
Alan

Hi Alan!

Rob would know the specifics on the Highpoint drive better than I would, but I do run a RAID5 setup with three Seagate 2TB drives. I can say that it does take a while, but if it's still striping after 24 hours then I would be very concerned. For a reference, RAID5 using MDADM (Linux Software RAID) took somewhere between 6-8 hours to stripe and parody 4TB on 7200RPM drives.

Your mileage will vary, of course, with drive speed, controller efficiency, etc. But I'd be a little worried at that rate.

HTH,

Brett

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
For a new RAID 0 array it shouldn't require any time at all to set up?? Since no parity data is used the drives shouldn't require any time for initialization.

Are you adding the drives to an existing array or something? I am not entirely following ya I think.