Stopping Pirated software - a new approach

liqnit

E.M.I.
Russian Software Developer Beats Pirate in Boxing Ring
i guess the software pirate didn;t think it could be happning to him :D
An employee of Cognitive Technologies computer company has beaten a man who was selling the company’s software illegally.

the details

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Interesting approach. I do not condone software piracy but dont really think that would work so well in the US. At last stereotype, all russians are huge, even the nerds while all North American nerds are scrawny and weak. Obviously this would hurt us so maybe 6 year legal battles would be the better approach.

Worldstar

Obliviot
I wonder why companies that small even bother to try to stop pirates. In a way, pirates are "promoting" the company. People get the software, try it out, use it and if they like it, they may even tell their boss at a big company to buy it. Small companies can sometimes get MORE SALES thru piracy then the amount of sales they lose thru the same piracy. I'm not condoning piracy. Just pointing out something that most companies do not think about.......

dibene

Obliviot
What did you guys expect?

The pirate had one eye, a peg leg, a blabbering bird on one shoulder and enough rum in his belly to tank an elk.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I've personally bought more movies and music because I've downloaded songs or video from artists. Software is the same way with me. If there's a reasonable price tag on something I want, I'll usually download it and try it. If I like it or think it's worth the price, I'll buy it.

I don't think anyone could ever wipe out piracy. It's so easy nowaday's to transfer information, especially through the internet, that it would be impossible.

Think back to vhs and cassettes. If you wanted an album or movie you'd just put the tape in a 2 deck system and record it. The same thing is happening now, just more widespread. There's going to be people out there that make copying stuff their hobby, and most won't get caught. I understand why it's illegal and that production companies want to stop it, but I can almost guarantee it'll never happen.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I agree. I think the only way to stop piracy is to offer death penalties. That obviously isn't going to happen, ;)

andanton

Obliviot
Rob Williams said:
I agree. I think the only way to stop piracy is to offer death penalties. That obviously isn't going to happen, ;)

Remember that Star Trek: Next Generation episode where they DID offer death sentences for every crime? It resulted in a totally crime free society.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I wouldn't admit watching Star Trek if it meant I could have Jessica Alba to myself.

Well.. *maybe* that would be the only way to get me to admit it.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Haha no. I actually haven't watched the show since I was like 12. I quickly outgrew of that one.

izzie

Obliviot
Becareful where you tread. You are trepassing on sacred ground.

I'm in my 20s and I still watch Star Trek here. I imagine there are a lot of trek fans on a computer forum like this one. You may be offending half your readership.

ducarti

Obliviot
izzie said:
Becareful where you tread. You are trepassing on sacred ground.

I'm in my 20s and I still watch Star Trek here. I imagine there are a lot of trek fans on a computer forum like this one. You may be offending half your readership.

Hey dude. You took the words out of my mouth. I almost said the same thing...........LOL :) .....haha :)

I'm lieing, I wouldn't of went that far and said what you said. I'm not that crazy. I like Star Trek, but I am not that much into it as some people.

phonywish

Obliviot
Mr. Williams, you shouldn't let all these trekkies gang up on you. I'm behind you all the way. I don't watch Trek either.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Haha, Star Wars is better, but I still lost interest in it over the years also.

Probably the reason I don't like Star Trek is because everyone I knew who watched it were very... bizarre... people. Either they were wierd to begin with, or Star Trek turned them wierd... I will never know ;)

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I'd rather watch Star Trek TNG than most other shows out there, but I don't HAVE to watch it. Some people go overboard with it. I've always been interested in space exploration and some of the things in that show could be the future. Will I ever see it? No, probably not, but think about their personal communication. We are at a point now where you just push a button say a name and you can reach that person with a cell phone. I've got voice dialing on mine and that's all I have to do to call someone. Sci-Fi may be strange and weird sometimes but a lot of what is depicted isn't out of the reach of what we can do.

Piracy is bad mm'kay!

Hehe, this thread turned from discussing pirated software to discussing Star Trek.
Honestly I agree with Rob with that they will never stop piracy. It is so common now that I think it part of this world we live in.

Fr00zen

Obliviot
Jakal said:
I'd rather watch Star Trek TNG than most other shows out there, but I don't HAVE to watch it. Some people go overboard with it. I've always been interested in space exploration and some of the things in that show could be the future. Will I ever see it? No, probably not, but think about their personal communication. We are at a point now where you just push a button say a name and you can reach that person with a cell phone. I've got voice dialing on mine and that's all I have to do to call someone. Sci-Fi may be strange and weird sometimes but a lot of what is depicted isn't out of the reach of what we can do.

Always liked Star Trek because of the morale and ethics it teaches you. A lot of people would never even of thought about the ethics of space exploration, if it wasn't for that show.

Imagine going into space and finding a new intelligent lifeform. Should we treat them the way America treated the Indians? Exterminate them, kill women and children, or cheat them and try to buy their land with beads? I believe that the best policy of a truly civilizied race would be pure non-interference. It is a lesson that Star Trek teaches people.

It is because the show goes beyond simple entertainment and provides thought provoking subject matter is the reason that I like the show.