Steve Irwin dead

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
THE Crocodile Man, Steve Irwin, is dead. He was killed in a freak accident in Cairns, police sources said. It appeared that he was killed by a sting-ray barb that went through his chest, Queensland Police Inspector Russell Rhodes said.

He was swimming off the Low Isles at Port Douglas where he had been filming an underwater documentary when it occurred. Ambulance officers confirmed they attended a reef fatality this morning at Batt Reef off Port Douglas.

Link

madmat

Soup Nazi
I must say that I'm surprised that he actually lasted this long. I'm not making light of his death mind you but with all the dangerous animals he dealt with I'm amazed that he didn't end up on the receiving end of a deadly encounter a lot sooner. When you play with fire you inevitably get burnt.

I guess he went out on his own terms though and like others that died doing what they loved you couldn't ask for a more fitting end.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I'm not going to say it's surprising. He did live quite adventurous, but that's why he was so popular. He liked taking people to new places and showing them new things. It's quite sad to see him go so soon really. I kinda expected him to be beating up on llamas or something at 60. The sadder part is that his wife wasn't even informed at the time; she was off on an expedition herself. I'll miss him, honestly; I liked the shows.

Jen McPherson

Resident Artist Nerd
My brother told me this morning and I honestly didn't believe him till I turned on the news. He was a passionate animal advocate, and I can honestly say one of the most flamboyant of all people to bring the animal world to the public, which made him... unique and entertaining to watch. Some thought him annoying, but I enjoyed his positive energy. I can honestly say I've watched him for years, and even my son loved watching him on Animal Planet. A very sad day indeed, he will be greatly missed, but as most say they aren't suprised he would die while trying to show people the animal world. It was almost expected with all the risks he took.

Apparently they say he died quickly with the barb going straight through his heart, which is just as well. I'm just glad he didn't suffer.

My sympathies do go out to his wife and two young children. I can't imagine their heartache.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Aye, he did seem like a great guy. His passion for animals was evident, and you have to respect him for all he's done. I used to watch his shows all the time... he is incredibly knowledgable.

"Apparently they say he died quickly"

I also heard it was instant... incredible what a -stingray- can do. Apparently there have only been three deaths due to stingrays in Australia prior to this one.

RIP Steve.

T-Shirt

E.M.I.
A sad day.
He certain brought attention to many rare animals (as well as himself) and proved that eco-tourism is as economically valuable (and less damaging to wildlife/enviroment) as trophy hunting.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I loved this guy. He was honestly one of hte only people i could watch doing this kind of stuff. He made me laugh and actually get into it.

A girl I dated for awhile was an aussie and she told me that even though he was probably playing up his accent a bit people over there really respected him for what he was doing. If he was playing up his accent then I consider him to be not only a great informer of wildlife but a good performer as well for never breaking up the extent to which he took his accent. Ill miss that guy's show.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm glad to see so many opinions and thoughts on this. He was definitely a stature in many ways.

As a side note, is it just me, or does that website I link to have no journalism skills whatsoever? It felt like reading a 3rd grade essay.

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
have not read the link, but have been sitting here most of the day... dumbfounded.

He should not have gone out this way.... the stingray he was filming was not a "fatal" variety. To have a spine go past the ribs and into the heart is just freakishly bad luck.

After dodging so many other issues in the past, having a relatively harmless stingray take you out is just wrong.

I feel for Terri and their 2 kids. I pray for their saftey during this horrible time.

My entire family loved watching him on the TV. He will be sorely missed....

dloneranger

Obliviot
have not read the link, but have been sitting here most of the day... dumbfounded

Be glad at least that it wasn't your family
It's a hell of a lot worse for them

If you feel bad, think how they must feel
I feel more sorry for them than Steve - they've had a part of their life ripped out of them and it will take a long time to recover if they ever do
Mainly you just learn to cope with it, but the pain never goes away (at least, not in my experience)
I hope they find a way of coping with it pretty soon, but it's not easily done
Best wishes to them all

Last edited:

dloneranger

Obliviot
Apparently they say he died quickly with the barb going straight through his heart, which is just as well. I'm just glad he didn't suffer.

My sympathies do go out to his wife and two young children. I can't imagine their heartache.

When I go, I hope it'll be quick like this
I'm also gutted for the family - many years of trouble are to come for them
The worst bit is that they don't realize yet how much it will hit them - after six years I still see someting cool and think to myself 'I gotta tell my mom about that'
I really don't want them to go through this - hopefully they are all really shallow and they can get over it quicker
I wish I was

Finger crossed that they can all pull through it together and come out ok

Yaotl

Obliviot
Sad day indeed. He was such a positive person - really seemed to love life. If we can take any lessons from him, it would be just that - live your life, do what you love, and be happy doing it.

His life ended much too early, but at least it ended whilst he was doing what he loved.