Stepping into the realm of SATA.

leecho7

Partition Master
Yes I know, many of you are going 'Bout damn time fool!'
I have a quick question though, if I want to run 1 sata drive, I should be able to just plug it in and be ready to go right? Or is that dependent on the mobo?
I know if I wanted to set up a RAID 0 config, I need to have a floppy drive or some bootable drive and set it up through bios right?

Jakal

Tech Monkey
You're correct on both accounts. With my DFi I had to set the SATA as the booting hard drive. It's under a setting similar to your boot setup. I have 3 choices, ide, sata1, and add-in card or something. It's really easy to do. I don't know much about RAID so I can't help you there. I always understood that you needed 2 for a basic RAID config.

leecho7

Partition Master
Yeah, you need 2 hd's for a raid 0 setup. I was just wondering if setting up 1 sata drive is just as easy as poppin it in and having it good to go. So you have to pretty much set it up as the boot hd in bios depending on the mobo correct? I'm planning to get a DFI crossfire edition board, to hold me over until I step into the realm of Conroe.

Man, spending way too much money...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yes, pop it in and go. You may need to go into the BIOS and just make sure it's the primary boot device. Plug it into the first S-ATA port though... they will all be numbered.