Stepping into the realm of Core 2 Duo.

leecho7

Partition Master
My computer was destroyed by a power surge last week. The only thing that is salvageable was the processor, memory, and the graphics card (thank God).
However, my friend decided to buy my proc and memory. I saw this is an opportunity to step into the realm of Intel Core 2 Duo. I am getting the 6400. However, I am wondering what type of motherboard and memory I should get, for I am not experienced in this part of computer geekdom yet. Anyone have suggestions? Im trying to limit myself to about $400 for the mobo + memory.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Well you have 400 to work with. My first question is how much RAM capacity are you looking to get? 2GB/1GB?

Obviously a 1GB kit will cost less than a 2GB kit and would allow you to spend more on a mobo. I am currently trying to find a good C2D mobo and I will keep you informed of what I get. Let me know what RAM you are looking to get and I will help you with a mobo. Rob can help you more than I can with the RAM.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Good C2D motherboards are rather expensive... starting out at around $250. You can get decent ones for around $200 though. If you want a solid rig, you may want to spend more around $450 or $500.

Mobos I recommend:

ASUS P5B Deluxe
ASUS P5B Deluxe
ASUS P5B Deluxe
ASUS P5B Deluxe
ASUS P5WD DH

Or, anything else in the $200 range should suffice. As for memory, get at least a 1*2GB kit for PC2-6400 speeds. Like I said, for good memory and a motherboard it will cost more than $400. Going to be hard to keep it under without comprimising quality.

Definitely depends on what you want to use the PC for also I guess. Sorry to hear about the surge :/

Last edited:

leecho7

Partition Master
To be honest, I'm mostly going to use it for casual purposes. I'm willing to dish out an extra 50-100 bucks if necessary. I'm not looking for top-o-the line kick you in the nuts type of hardware. Something that'll handle WoW and Oblivion decently. Since I still have the x1900xtx that didn't get fried (thank God), I don't think that should be too much of a problem.

My surge protector failed me. Oh well. Everything happens for a reason right? Look at me now, ready to get into Conroe.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Haha aye, that's a good spirit to have. I'll shoot off Mark an e-mail to see if he has any ideas. I haven't looked into many budget Conroe boards so I would hate to steer you wrong.

Verse914

Obliviot
Im using the Asus P5W DH Deluxe mobo with my C2D E6600 and it works great. It does have alot of extra features that I dont use though (remote, wifi). You can probably find a used board for cheap...